What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD IMESSAGE text messaging not working

OP
S

Shinereed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I observed was that if you uncheck IMessage in Settings and check SMS you can text everyone I used to text even people without iPhone or iPad that have phone that allows texting. If you turn on iMessage and leave off SMS then you can iMessage those who have IPAD with IOS 5 but no one else, however if Imessaging is down then you can't text anyone. If you leave iMessage on and check SMS then you can send messages to all people with IPhone or iPad ios5 and when it is down then it reverts to simply SMS so you can text anyone when iMessage is down. I think this is right and would explain the multiple issues. Is this a correct observation?

Fxgt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I observed was that if you uncheck IMessage in Settings and check SMS you can text everyone I used to text even people without iPhone or iPad that have phone that allows texting. If you turn on iMessage and leave off SMS then you can iMessage those who have IPAD with IOS 5 but no one else, however if Imessaging is down then you can't text anyone. If you leave iMessage on and check SMS then you can send messages to all people with IPhone or iPad ios5 and when it is down then it reverts to simply SMS so you can text anyone when iMessage is down. I think this is right and would explain the multiple issues. Is this a correct observation?
How cani do it please? Check both boxes? I hv the same issue also. Not able to send imessages. Thks

Fxgt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to log in with my apple id but it said network error when i have five signal bar strength and the signal is vv good. Please help, anyone? Thk u

jowhite73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i have been using imessage from my ipad and now it will not allow me to hit send! The button is inactive, grrrrr! Help please ...

jsbwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do they register with iMessage, and do they have to have an iPhone? I was under the impression--from iPad advertising--that these things could correspond/communicate with the world. Now I'm finding out you can only communicate with the Apple cultists?

rallyny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For messages to be picked up across iPhones and iPad ..... **** On the iPhone the caller Id must also be set to the email and NOT the phone number. *****

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! 7 hours -- S*E*V*E*N H*O*U*R*S on the phone with Apple and AT&T and none of them could figure out why my iPad wasn't receiving messages, they all copped attitudes and three times hung up on me because I insisted it HAD to work.... and a two second Google search brought me to your post and the problem was solved in 30 seconds. I checked my address instead of my phone in Messages> Caller ID and voila. If I was ever going to have a first-born, I would name him Umbradomini!! LOL. I'll have to settle for my next dog :) THANK YOU!!!

caitezmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having the same problem with the send being "greyed out". I found that if I put a subject in and then clicked on the empty space in the line below the send button turned blue and and I could send the message. It does seem like with IOS6 you can only send to someone with and apple ID. I don't see the option to text anyone with SMS anymore.

Most reactions