What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messages will not send!

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I am having difficulty with the iMessaging program. Sometimes I am able to SEND a message, complete with photos and movie clips. Most of the time nothing happens and I'm not sure what I'm doing/not doing that results in my message just sitting there. The word SEND is highlighted ... but it does not send. I'm sure your answer will simply mortify me with its simplicity ... but I'm prepared to humble myself.

It's been quite awhile since I asked this question and I'm wondering if I've posted in the wrong area. I'm still not able to SEND my iMessages.

Last edited:
OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I give. Did I just not put my question in the right place?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most likely no one has a good answer for you, and like me, was waiting to see if anyone else had an idea of what is going on. The only thing I can think of is that you don't have an internet connection when it's not sending.

Other than that, all I can recommend is the usual fixes, if you have not already tried them.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First time I've seen this question, so sorry to have missed it. All I can think of from the info given, is that you may be typing your message into the space intended for the title. That would prevent it being sent, because the body would be empty, but I'm pretty sure that in this case the Send button would be greyed out.

So, a few questions. Are you jailbroken? Are you finding difficulty in sending to the same people, or is the problem purely random? Are you sure your contacts have iDevices?

The more info you can supply, the easier it will be for us to track down the problem.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...and we will now move this to the Help Section in hopes to bring on more attention to this.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, after reading everything I could find about the subject ... and probably missing the one article that would be the permanent "fix" ... I have decided that I just have to accept that the problem is sporadic. Last night I was able to message back and forth. Today the SEND button ignores me.

I shut down all apps sitting in the tray, powered off the iPad completely after doing the usual clearing of cookies etc., switched my search from Google to Bing first and powered back on. SEND is working again.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG!!! I am absolutely mortified! My apologies to one and all! I have been looking below my post for possible responses, completely missing the list ABOVE my post!

Really, someone should just take this thing away from me before I do any more damage!!! :rolleyes:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. We all make that mistake now and then, or at least I do. :)

It's probably the restart that is fixing the problem. You should probably restart the iPad every week or so. If you're having to do it every day, something is wrong, possibly a bad app that gobbling and not releasing RAM.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sitting here laughing and blushing. I'm hopeless! Yes, I had actually done everything you suggested already. The only thing I hadn't considered was doing the reset all settings. That prospect made me nervous. I'll play with it a bit longer before I take that step. It is apparently working again now ... for the moment at least.

My next project will obviously be to change my settings from "threaded view" to "default" (which I should have left alone to begin with!).

Thanks so much for your usual thoughtful reply.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I haven't used the re-start button since I bought the thing. I have one of those flip top covers that puts it to sleep. From now on I will make a point of doing a weekly re-start.

Ta

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually I haven't used the re-start button since I bought the thing. I have one of those flip top covers that puts it to sleep. From now on I will make a point of doing a weekly re-start.

Ta

It's easy to overlook that the screen going black is not actually turning the iPad off, and that this easy to use device is still a computer that needs an occasional clean start.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts