What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD IMESSAGE text messaging not working

Shinereed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated to IOS5 and activated the Messaging (IMESSAGE) but it will not work. Keeps failing to send messages with error ! not delivered. Also unable to go to IPhone to pick up messaging where it left off as it has been advertised to do. I can't get it to work properly. Any assistance is very appreciated. I have IPAD WIFI 32G. Thanks, Newbie Tami:(

zaczikry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imessage on ipad was not support to send message to a phone number, that only can send to apple ID.

D300Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem - get "not delivered" error message.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated to IOS5 and activated the Messaging (IMESSAGE) but it will not work. Keeps failing to send messages with error ! not delivered. Also unable to go to IPhone to pick up messaging where it left off as it has been advertised to do. I can't get it to work properly. Any assistance is very appreciated. I have IPAD WIFI 32G. Thanks, Newbie Tami:(

The person you are trying to message...do they have their apple devices updated to iOS 5 also? I just used mine the other day with a friend both using the ipad2 with the iOS 5 update. She tried sending a message to another friend with an iphone, but the friend had not yet updated.

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For messages to be picked up across iPhones and iPad both devices must have the email address listed under message settings. On the iPhone the caller Id must also be set to the email and NOT the phone number.

Once this is done any messages you send will show up on both, and as people reply you will receive against both.
If someone messages you on your phone number then it will not show on your iPad until you reply from your phone and they then reply again.

iPads can also send messages to phone numbers as long as the receiving person has updated to ios5 and has registered with the iMessage service. All the system cares about is have they registered, it does not care if it is a number or an email.

shawren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am having a prob with iPad 2 messages app when I try to send it goes about 90% of the way then stops the strange thing is my iPod using the same settings and addresses works ok
anyone help please

micker125

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am struggling with my message app, doesn't seem to work at all. I get an option to sign in, but I keep getting a message to check my network settings. My sign in works with everything else. Any ideas?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too am having a prob with iPad 2 messages app when I try to send it goes about 90% of the way then stops the strange thing is my iPod using the same settings and addresses works ok
anyone help please

I don't have my ipad2 with me, but check under settings to see if there's an on/off switch for your imessage app to work. I cannot remember if I had to do this or not, but maybe that may be the reason. As soon as I press the send button, it is quick to send. It doesn't take long...like waiting for a webpage to load.

Also, I don't ever recall having to put in my apple ID on. Again, maybe this all happened as soon as I put my info in after I did my update to ios 5.

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an option under settings then messages to turn iMessage on/off. It might be worth flicking the switch to reset and let the iPad reactivate through the servers for iMessage with your details.

micker125

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried these ideas, can get in now, but when I add a name for a contact who I know has iMessage, the send button doesn't come live, so cannot send!

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May sound silly, but have you checked that the number or email address you are listing for the person is the correct one that they have registered with iMessage.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tried these ideas, can get in now, but when I add a name for a contact who I know has iMessage, the send button doesn't come live, so cannot send!

I'd say restart the iPad. Sometimes turning it off, may fix some issues after doing that. Worth a try.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

When you type in their address are you getting a red exclamation at the end of their email? That will tell you that you are using the wrong email for their iPad or have An iPad that is not currently updated. Just for grins, I sent a message to my work email, and I got the red "!" at the end of name.

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having similar problems. Since I and others updated to iOS5 I have been sending and receiving iMessages. This morning I did a hard reset hoping to get some of my apps to load faster. Thereafter, I discovered that I cannot send to the folks that I have been sending to and receiving from. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions