What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

icon goes to App Store

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My purchased apps don't open any more when I click the icon. Instead they open a sign on window to the App Store.

I'm new at this so maybe I changed some setting somewhere I shouldn't have?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are these apps that are installed on your iPad or apps in your purchased list that aren't actually on your iPad? If it's the latter, what happens if you sign in to the App Store before tapping on the app icons in the purchase list?

OP
J

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are these apps that are installed on your iPad or apps in your purchased list that aren't actually on your iPad? If it's the latter, what happens if you sign in to the App Store before tapping on the app icons in the purchase list?

They're all installed apps that were working fine (Pages, PDF expert, Converter)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you see your Apple ID in App Store - Featured, when you scroll down? Maybe you need to login.

Try resetting your iPad. Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then let go of both. The iPad will power up on it's own. This will neither remove data nor change settings on your iPad. The procedure is known to solve glitches.

OP
J

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you see your Apple ID in App Store - Featured, when you scroll down? Maybe you need to login.

Try resetting your iPad. Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then let go of both. The iPad will power up on it's own. This will neither remove data nor change settings on your iPad. The procedure is known to solve glitches.

The reset didn't do anything and no I don't see my ID on the App Store page.

Why do I have to sign into the App Store to use an app?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should not have to be signed into the App Store to use the apps installed on your iPad.
Have you tried resetting all settings? Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. This restores all settings on your iPad to their factory default but dies no erase any data. You will have to sign in again on sites that normally remember you, though.

OP
J

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that was a disaster...Now I've lost my router connection.

Any idea how I get that back?

OK ... I've got my router back now but the original problem still persists.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've tried the solutions offered by J. A. And myself and they don't work, you may have to contact Apple Support or take your iPhone in to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. Apple support can cost if it's not covered under AppleCare, but Genius Bar appointments are always free.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's definitely bizarre behavior. I've never seen anything like it.

But to revisit things. There might be a reason you're being directed to the App store. Have you ever signed in to the App store after tapping on an app icon takes you there? If so, what happens?

OP
J

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's definitely bizarre behavior. I've never seen anything like it.

But to revisit things. There might be a reason you're being directed to the App store. Have you ever signed in to the App store after tapping on an app icon takes you there? If so, what happens?

I just signed into the Astore and the problem disappeared.
I think I'll go back to Windows.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It might be related to Apple's new features. Apps can now download part of their content on demand, instead of downloading the entire app at once. This is mostly for games which may have GBs of game data. While it is highly unlikely that all (or even most) of your apps needed to contact the App Store to get data, it is possible that the App Store needed to be checked in each case to make sure each app was up to date and did/didn't need the feature.

Whatever it was, it might have been a one time (or rare) thing. You could try signing out of the App Store and see if it comes back.

Since I'm always signed in (it's just easier) this isn't something I'd have caught on my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts