What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

URL link not working from desktop

Graham H Perry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a number of saved links from my home page desktop to sites such as bbc home page. They have all stopped opening up Safari and linking me to the stored page. I have deleted the links, accessed the web site again, and saved the link under a new icon on the desktop. The icon is shown but again does not take me to the site. Also if I open a site through safari that has an embedded link to take me to a new site this once again fails and drops me back to the desktop. I have not changed any settings and the links have worked ok for months.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not completely sure I understand what you are describing, however there are some fairly standard things you can try, if you have not already done so.

For problems with Safari, the first thing to try is to Clear Cookies and Data. You can do this in the Settings app under Safari.

You should also make sure you have not accidentally entered Private Browsing mode. This mode is indicated by a dark gray title and URL bar. To enter/exit Private Browsing mode, tap the URL field so that the keyboard comes up. Above the keyboard, on the left, you'll see the Private button. Tap to switch modes.

Below are the more general fixes that come in handy for a variety of issues.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking. Do not confuse this with Erase All Content and Settings.

More detailed information at: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Most reactions

Latest posts