What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 3G, I have wi fi at home but not at work, and when I travel, I do not want to pay $10/day for wireless at hotels...

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 3G, I have wi fi at home but not at work, and when I travel, I do not want to pay $10/day for wireless at hotels...

Same here - wi fi at home, but not at work. I like the convenience of the 3G and plan to buy it when I get an iPad 2.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have WiFi only because I don't travel or have a need for it outside the home. I also have a 32GB as opposed to a 64GB as I consider for my usage the latter to be excessive. I also don't have, or need an iPhone or smartphone, I just own an old dumb-ass one, granted it does have Internet connectivity, which I never use I may add because of the costs involved as the phone is Pay As You Go.

You may need 3G and 64GB, I don't, do I need to be connected to the net 24/7? Hell no, I've better things to do with my time, in the same way I don't have to be constantly texting and emailing to feel connected to others. That's the reason why there are different models, spending extra money for bells and whistles when you don't need them is pointless.

We're not all drones, we use technology in different ways. I'm just grateful that Apple gave me the choice to save money on additions I neither need or will seldom use.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last summer we did a lot of traveling by car. Questions would come up on various topics during the trips, and I'd always reply: "If I had an iPad, we could find the answer." That was repeated so many times, it got to be a family joke. I held off on buying an iPad over the summer because I wasn't 100% certain I wanted one.

When the iPad 2 was announced, I instantly decided to buy the 32GB/3G. Now if a question comes up while we're on the road, all I need to do is go to my settings, turn off Airplane, and I'm on line. No wait and no worry about excess data charges. I wouldn't have it any other way and if 3G had not been an option, I wouldn't have made the purchase.

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another pt of view on 3g

Ok, I have 3G and 32g cause my husband bought it for me for Christmas and wanted to be sure I had what I needed. I'm happy to say my wifi is perfectly adequate. When I leave the house, I take my iPhone. iPad is too cumbersome., and I LOVE not paying AT&T for all the data! I appreciate having the option to buy data time when I travel, however,and think I am making up the difference in cost of the iPad in savings on monthly fees. What do you all think?
:confused:
Since Dec I have only had to buy $15.00 worth of data. That feels lots better than my costly iPhone.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say it has been worth it. In our small town not many places have wifi so we end up using our 3G at restaurants. Even in the electronics store (Best Buy) their wifi is locked now so you can't use it there too. I have a hotspot on my phone but sometimes my signal is very poor so it won't work anyway.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!

Exactly! I got the the 64, wifi and 3G and never looked back. I know me and I would have regretted if I had gotten anything less.
+1
I may not leave it activated all the time - play that by ear - but it's there if/when, and the GPS is always there.

MayaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice to have

I also have the 64GB 3G model cause an aunt once told me "you can afford what you want to afford" forty years ago and it's part of me now. I've no regrets. Have maybe used the 3G service 3 months and I turned it on each time for specific reasons. This is one of those months and I find myself using it more and more places. Places I might usually use my phone but I enjoy the bigger screen. But since I do have the phone, I'll not renew the 3G till July when I'm on vacation.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the 3G 64Gb, but still have to pick up my sim. I will do that next week. I decided on this, since i bought it for its mobility. At home I already have the Mac and a laptop. I will see how often i use the 3G once I got the sim

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Webwrangler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 3G just in case. I wasn't sure I'd need it but I wanted to have the option. The first day I had the device, I turned on the $15 3G plan but it failed to activate. I took the iPad to dinner with me that evening but without any connectivity it was essentially dead in the water. Most of the really neat stuff it does requires Internet. I'm glad I got 3G. I have since upgraded to the 2 gig plan since I burned through the allotment on the first tier very quickly even though I have access to wifi in a lot of places during the day.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a shame that Apple don't take a leaf out of Amazon Kindle's book (if you'll pardon the pun!) my wifi Kindle is supplied with free GPRS connection but the quality of the web pages are very poor, it's very slow and not exactly designed for web surfing on the move. I'm sure if Apple thought about it long enough they could provide free GPRS without having to take out a separate contract. Now wouldn't that be great!

Bostonvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long exactly does it take connect when tethering? I figured getting 3G worked for me as it seemed the most simplistic. Most times I don't want to carry my cell around, or worry about it's battery(1.5year old droid) etc.. An iPad should connect to the Internet on it's own. I like to surf the Internet on mart has vineyard naked, no pockets for tether device ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts