I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Tapmyapple, Apr 15, 2011.

1. maryinredding

maryinredding
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I would say it has been worth it. In our small town not many places have wifi so we end up using our 3G at restaurants. Even in the electronics store (Best Buy) their wifi is locked now so you can't use it there too. I have a hotspot on my phone but sometimes my signal is very poor so it won't work anyway.

2. k7lvo

k7lvo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    +1
    I may not leave it activated all the time - play that by ear - but it's there if/when, and the GPS is always there.

3. k7lvo

k7lvo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Spoiled but NOT rotten?!? :D:D

4. MayaD

MayaD
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Nice to have

I also have the 64GB 3G model cause an aunt once told me "you can afford what you want to afford" forty years ago and it's part of me now. I've no regrets. Have maybe used the 3G service 3 months and I turned it on each time for specific reasons. This is one of those months and I find myself using it more and more places. Places I might usually use my phone but I enjoy the bigger screen. But since I do have the phone, I'll not renew the 3G till July when I'm on vacation.

5. JJK

JJK
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I also have the 3G 64Gb, but still have to pick up my sim. I will do that next week. I decided on this, since i bought it for its mobility. At home I already have the Mac and a laptop. I will see how often i use the 3G once I got the sim

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. Webwrangler

Webwrangler
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I got a 3G just in case. I wasn't sure I'd need it but I wanted to have the option. The first day I had the device, I turned on the $15 3G plan but it failed to activate. I took the iPad to dinner with me that evening but without any connectivity it was essentially dead in the water. Most of the really neat stuff it does requires Internet. I'm glad I got 3G. I have since upgraded to the 2 gig plan since I burned through the allotment on the first tier very quickly even though I have access to wifi in a lot of places during the day.

7. gray_mouse

gray_mouse
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    3G is not as impotent as GPS, because maps could be cached for later off line use.

8. fuzzyfelts

fuzzyfelts
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It's a shame that Apple don't take a leaf out of Amazon Kindle's book (if you'll pardon the pun!) my wifi Kindle is supplied with free GPRS connection but the quality of the web pages are very poor, it's very slow and not exactly designed for web surfing on the move. I'm sure if Apple thought about it long enough they could provide free GPRS without having to take out a separate contract. Now wouldn't that be great!

9. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I bought the full beans too - 64 gb wifi+3G

Have I been happy with that? Yup, even though I might only use the 3G part of it maybe 2 or 3 weeks in a year.

10. Bostonvince

Bostonvince
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    How long exactly does it take connect when tethering? I figured getting 3G worked for me as it seemed the most simplistic. Most times I don't want to carry my cell around, or worry about it's battery(1.5year old droid) etc.. An iPad should connect to the Internet on it's own. I like to surf the Internet on mart has vineyard naked, no pockets for tether device ;)