What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see any point in 3G models. If you have any smart phone, with suitable app, you can turn it into Wifi hotspot. Then simply connect your iPad.

Reaction score
mobi1 said:
I don't see any point in 3G models. If you have any smart phone, with suitable app, you can turn it into Wifi hotspot. Then simply connect your iPad.

Yes, but for one, that is tedious. And if you go overseas, you have to change your phone SIM, or incur heavy Roaming charges. I would rather keep my cell# the same and instead swap the ipad's sim to a local one. That seems to be a better solution to me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:

Yes, but for one, that is tedious. And if you go overseas, you have to change your phone SIM, or incur heavy Roaming charges. I would rather keep my cell# the same and instead swap the ipad's sim to a local one. That seems to be a better solution to me.

I couldn't agree more and - as has been said previously - you get GPS 'in house' with the 3G model.

Tim

0pawwap0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad that I bought the iPad wifi+3G. It helps me a lot in my studying/reviewing for the local board exams. I can connect to the Internet whenever I wanted and not worrying if there is a wifi area or no wifi area. At first I only considered buying the wifi version only. But I'm very happy that I choose wifi+3G over wifi.you people should buy the iPad wifi+3G to.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
people forget that 3g speeds are light years slower thn wifi connection. plus we tether are ipad to phone while on the go. still get same 3g service tethering. that was a dumb statement saying wifi version only is dumb. i probaly do more thn with my wifi version thn you with your 3g one. plus i save more $$$$$ :p

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
people forget that 3g speeds are light years slower thn wifi connection. plus we tether are ipad to phone while on the go. still get same 3g service tethering. that was a dumb statement saying wifi version only is dumb. i probaly do more thn with my wifi version thn you with your 3g one. plus i save more $$$$$ :p

I would like to politely disagree with your statement that 3G speeds are necessarily slower than WiFi. While the gross WiFi data rate between your iPad and your ADSL broadband router may look impressive, the net data rate will depend upon your ADSL connection to the Internet. Yes, you may be lucky and have an optical fibre broadband link, but many users will be limited to speeds of a few megabits per second, particularly if they live in a rural area some distance from their exchange.

3G technology is advancing rapidly and the data rates available are now comparable with - and, in my case, exceed - that which can be achieved over an ADSL cable broadband network.

Have a look at

High-Speed Downlink Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and see how the 3G HSDPA protocol is evolving using adaptive modulation and digital signal processing techniques to provide 3G data rates that can compete with WiFi. Yes - I agree too that individual cell base stations (called 'Node B' in 3G terminology) - can become loaded at peak times too and thus the user experience may not live up to the hype!

Yes, I accept entirely that for many, possibly the majority of, users WiFi will give higher data rates than 3G and, for some, will cost less (though some, like myself, have unlimited 3G data plans).

Anyway, for guys like me who grew up using Bell Acoustic Modems that gave 300 bits/second, both WiFi and 3G are simply great!!

Tim

Last edited:

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64GB with 3G as having already had a wifi-only tablet I knew that my owning a tabvlet without built-in 3G meant nothing but frustration while on the train / bus / plane. I mostly don't even bother switching to WiFi now, even at home, as it's more hassle than just being able to unlock and open the browser.

I also have a MiFi that I use for the other tablets and iPod Touch, but the battery life isn't as good as the iPads (about 5 hours constant use compared to 10 for the iPad). Saying that I think the MiFi is a brilliant bit of kit. It doesn't take that long to fire up, and I get multiple days of use between charges if I only switch it on when I need to check something.

Katrina2475

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have 3G but wanted to put my input out there. I got the wifi version thinking that I am mostly at home and for things like our upcoming trip to Tennessee this summer I could just add the hotspot feature to my android phone. I thought if I found myself needing it more often I could do that more often. What I wasn't counting on was using my iPad as much as I thought I would. I have a bad back so I am finding myself at a lot of doctors appointments with my 2 toddlers (4 and 2) and wishing I had a connection for the iPad. Dealing with the hotspot and 2 toddlers was not something I factored in either. In short, I wish I would have sprung for the 3G version and when it is time for my next iPad, it will be 3G.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, totally worth it. You only pay when you want to use it, right?

It makes taking the iPad on the road a very strong tool.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You guys are making me want 3G now, stop it, my hubby will kill me if I start nagging him again.

Most reactions

Latest posts