What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got my iPad 2

Mnick1987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My boss let me leave work at 5:15pm and NOBODY was waiting for an iPad 2 I rushed in bought it in under 10min and went back to work!!! By that time they only had 4 left. So I'm happy I didn't order mines because apple.com told me at 7:30am on March 11th that my shipment wouldn't be in until March 20-March 29

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My boss let me leave work at 5:15pm and NOBODY was waiting for an iPad 2 I rushed in bought it in under 10min and went back to work!!! By that time they only had 4 left. So I'm happy I didn't order mines because told me at 7:30am on March 11th that my shipment wouldn't be in until March 20-March 29

Sounds like your boss should be awarded ‘Boss of the Year’ Award!

Hope you enjoy your iPad2. Don’t forget to post your impressions for us ‘third-class citizens’ who don’t get to see the iPad2 until March 25th.

Tim
Scotland

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great boss!
And x2 on posting impressions so we 'foreigners' can live vicariously through you. :)

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim, You being a Master and all......

Are you getting the iPad 2 ? What particular traits does it have that you want?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid being an iPad Forum 'Master' just means that I've written lots of (mostly useless) posts....

To be entirely honest, I find it hard to justify the purchase of an iPad2 - having owned my present iPad1 for only four months. It meets almost all of my needs and I don't really find the performance or capabilities limiting in any way.

I guess I'm just an addicted gadget freak who loves to have the latest and greatest. I plan to go into the Apple shop when the iPad2 is released in the UK - in just under two weeks time - and try it out for myself. That was my 'undoing' when I tried out the original iPad. I was a sceptic but, after trying it in the Apple shop, I was 'hooked' and just had to have one.

And, to be honest, it has transformed the way I work. My laptop is now left at home and has become more of a 'home computer'. The iPad is just so much more convenient to carry around - the 'instant on' and 'instant off' are great for quickly checking email and the wonderful battery life is the 'magic ingredient'. I don't find any real compatibility issues when authoring documents on the iPad using the iPad's Apple iWorks suite - sure there are some minor annoyances, but they've mostly all got work arounds.

I do find the iPad1's 256 MB RAM a bit limiting when trying to load documents with a high graphic content and I'll be interested to see if the rumoured 512 MB RAM on the iPad2 makes a significant difference here. I have already placed some big documents on my MobileMe iDisk to access from the Apple store!!

I don't play games at all on the iPad and hardly ever watch videos, so I can't really say that the significantly improved graphics performance with the completely reworked GPU (graphics processing unit) will make much difference to me but, if you're in to watching HD videos or playing games with an intense graphics content, this should certainly make a big difference.

It will take some time before apps available at the Apple App Store are upgraded to take advantage of the new dual-core processor; although iOS 4.3 has been optimised, it will take a while before app developers get round to reworking their apps.

One negative aspect of the iPad2 - if you've watched the iFixit iPad2 teardown you'll see that the weight saving for the iPad2 has mostly been achieved by making the glass screen significantly thinner, so you'll need to be more careful - unless Apple have changed the glass formulation to make it stronger for the reduced thickness.

OK - so given the choice - now - at this moment of time and at the same cost of getting either the iPad1 or iPad2, of course, I'd go for the iPad2 - who wouldn't? But whether I can realistically justify the purchase of the new iPad now after having owned my old one for such a short period of time, even assuming I was able to sell it, very difficult to say.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this subject too. I have just under two weeks to decide.....and I need some help....

Tim
Scotland

deog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL I got in the line 2 pm that day, because my boss went out for his earlier in another store^.^

Most reactions

Latest posts