What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got my new iPad 2!

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I ordered one at 1 am and ended up cancelling it as I took my chances at a London Drugs location close to my work place.

I got there at opening with another guy and he chose to stay. I didn't and went back to work since there were just the two of us. I went back at noon and inquired about it again. This time I'm the only one there and the other guy was nowhere to be found. So as I was looking around at gadgets, I was handed a ticket and I'm #1 in line. Sweet! I was told not to leave the building and make sure I'm in the area by 4:30 to secure my place in line. Another person showed up and then another. Now we were three. As it turns out, they only have 5 units in stock of the 16GB. There were two other people that were handed the tickets but I never saw them as I wandered in the store so technically the units are already assigned.

People were still lining up for the iPad 2 but they got wait listed instead. It was exciting to wait for the most coveted gadget but I don't think I will ever do it again. The wait time from noon to 5 killed me! LOL I can just imagine the people that lined up since the morning before. What perseverance! Hats off to these guys that wait in line for many hours.

I was finally handed the iPad 2 at 5 PM. People were cheering me on. It was quite funny! I met a few people in line and it was a great interaction. I came home but didn't get to play with it right away as I had company coming for dinner. What a day!

I get to play with my iPad 2 this morning and loving it. My only disappointment is the store doesn't have any case for it so I left the plastic on. Ha ha ha!! For now she's neatly tucked in my Slip Case from Waterfield Designs.

Thank you all for reading my experience yesterday and enjoy your new iPad 2! :D

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So pleased that you got one. I went to the local Apple Store in Aberdeen (Scotland) and the lines were too long, so I gave up - now regretting it :(

Hope you post some of your thoughts about your new iPad - then I can read them and pretend I have one....

Tim
Scotland

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will be playing around with it more and then I will post my thoughts on the forum. I love it how it's so thin and incredibly lighter than the old one.

I'll try and find a case for it today. The stuff I ordered online are still back ordered.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congrats! Nice to hear a success story! I'm still waiting for the FedEx truck.. :(

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How you finding it? get a case and screen protector for it next week!

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to look for a temp case today. But for now, the plastic packaging will do. Ha ha.

The iPad 2 is definitely faster than the first generation. I love the way the touch screen responds with my finger tips. Definitely responds a lot quicker. The only downside of it is the VGA camera. It's pixelated and blurry. The unit is more comfortable to hold when surfing. Multitasking is great on this machine. Overall still loving it.

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kctay said:
Congrats! Nice to hear a success story! I'm still waiting for the FedEx truck.. :(

You'll get it soon enough. What did you order?

Amok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
awesome story. Enjoy your new device. How's the waterfield designs 'bag' working out for you?

I have a smart case from them on order (may have shipped??). It is a race to see which arrives first, the smart case or the iPad2. As my ship date for the iPad2 hasn't updated since I originally placed the order, smart money is betting on the smart case to win that race.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too got the ipad 2 yesterday, the launch day in Canada. I never meant to get it yesterday though. I was never going to join a line the day before or for 8, 9 hours. I woke early and ordered online. It said, 2-3 weeks to ship and 8 days for delivery. That is a long time for me but even that was better than going to join lines for hours.

It just so happens after work the family was going to Costo and decided to stop at Future shop to drop off a laptop for repair.

A stroke of luck that was. I saw a line up and went to enquire of stock of ipad. the next thing I know this guys is asking me which ipad I want and accessories. I tell him, and he write it up and gives me a ticket. This is at about 4:45 p.m.

I was ushered in to a line in the store and about 20 minutes later, I had the ipad 2.

I like it so far. One problem: I was looking so hard for the bleeding problem. I felt I saw some evidence of it but it only happens with one app and it doesn't look all that as obvious as the pictures that I see posted on this forum re the backlight bleeding. The app goes to a black screen before it actually come on so it really doesn't affect the quality of the picture. It is the iswifter app.

Saturday morning, the backlight thing didn't happen. then a a few hours later it didn't look so obvious as the day before. I am still keeping an eye on it though re consideration for return.

It is definitely faster. Yes, cams don't seem all that hot but i still have the plastic on it and that may be a factor. Going to the store to get a screen protector later. Will wait for a better case as they become available. There is no way I am going to be carrying around a naked ipad 2. I just don't feel comfortable like that.

BTW, imovie is sweet for days.

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Biggysmallz said:
I too got the ipad 2 yesterday, the launch day in Canada. I never meant to get it yesterday though. I was never going to join a line the day before or for 8, 9 hours. I woke early and ordered online. It said, 2-3 weeks to ship and 8 days for delivery. That is a long time for me but even that was better than going to join lines for hours.

It just so happens after work the family was going to Costo and decided to stop at Future shop to drop off a laptop for repair.

A stroke of luck that was. I saw a line up and went to enquire of stock of ipad. the next thing I know this guys is asking me which ipad I want and accessories. I tell him, and he write it up and gives me a ticket. This is at about 4:45 p.m.

I was ushered in to a line in the store and about 20 minutes later, I had the ipad 2.

I like it so far. One problem: I was looking so hard for the bleeding problem. I felt I saw some evidence of it but it only happens with one app and it doesn't look all that as obvious as the pictures that I see posted on this forum re the backlight bleeding. The app goes to a black screen before it actually come on so it really doesn't affect the quality of the picture. It is the iswifter app.

Saturday morning, the backlight thing didn't happen. then a a few hours later it didn't look so obvious as the day before. I am still keeping an eye on it though re consideration for return.

It is definitely faster. Yes, cams don't seem all that hot but i still have the plastic on it and that may be a factor. Going to the store to get a screen protector later. Will wait for a better case as they become available. There is no way I am going to be carrying around a naked ipad 2. I just don't feel comfortable like that.

BTW, imovie is sweet for days.

Wow!!! That's great you only get to line up for 20 minutes. :))) Congratulations!

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amok said:
awesome story. Enjoy your new device. How's the waterfield designs 'bag' working out for you?

I have a smart case from them on order (may have shipped??). It is a race to see which arrives first, the smart case or the iPad2. As my ship date for the iPad2 hasn't updated since I originally placed the order, smart money is betting on the smart case to win that race.

I love the Slip Case from Waterfield. It's solid and the quality is outstanding.

Most reactions

Latest posts