What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I dropped my ipad 2 and it won't turn on

gtibbetts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2. The screen was cracked. The new screen was not put on yet. I dropped the ipad and now it won't turn on. I have some questions. How do I test components to see if they work? Where can I get equipment to test ipad components?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2. The screen was cracked. The new screen was not put on yet. I dropped the ipad and now it won't turn on. I have some questions. How do I test components to see if they work? Where can I get equipment to test ipad components?

Welcome to the forum gtibbetts,
Some solutions we have for fixing a broken iPad is to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store....you will not need your receipt as they can look up all relevant info at the store. They will most probably offer to replace your iPad but for a cost...it's normally half of the original cost of the iPad. If this is fine by you, make sure you do a complete backup of your iPad before you go.
There are other businesses that can do this for you which will probably be cheaper but be aware that this will void your warranty, but then again your warranty would already be voided because of the drop. If you do replace with Apple, your warranty is reinstated. I have also heard many members who have gone the cheaper route then find that their WiFi will not work as this has been damaged by the replacing of the screen.
“Here are some great web sites to aid you in your repair search:
Contact Info:
http://www.apple.com/contact/
Apple Support:
http://www.apple.com/support/
Check for Warranty:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
For those of you not living in the USA, here is a link whereby you can select your country and then be directed to the Apple site for your country:
http://www.apple.com/choose-your-country/
That said, I will now move your thread to the iPad DIY forum where you have a better chance of receiving more help

Regards, Andrew

Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gtibbetts,,

Also, please buy a case for your iPad. The iPad is expensive and should be protected from accidental damage.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
G

gtibbetts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know what would get broken if dropped?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what would get broken if dropped?

There's no way to tell without knowing the exact circumstances of the fall. You could end up with nothing more than cosmetic damage to internal damage requiring replacement of the iPad.

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Under the glass is the digitizer, which its job is to sense the capacitance in your fingers along with slightest of pressures to send the signal of your placement of fingers through the devices internal components ,where they are arranged in a specific way and pushed to the LCDscreen in a readable format . Now here is why in so less of terminology iv explained this as elementary as possible. Your home button does not have a solid connection to power up as in a wired ckt.,it floats on a contact skid and is
A momentary switch. So when depressed it only has to make and break.
It is most likely ,that the contact skid has slipped off of its floating supports that is in the press to MAKE (energize or power on ) the device
And at the same time it is held in the maintained or normal position
(The home button up or BREAK ) position as it is supposed to do .
If it was the break floating skid that was knocked out of position you would not be able to turn Off OR DE ENERGIZE. however the case is the bottom line is the glass and the digitizer will need to be removed to
Repair .......sorry freind..... Good luck best to ya. This reply is written to help others understand a little more about some issues that perhaps is of useful interests . And the dates are irrelevant.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts