What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little help with screen.

rogerde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now this has probably been asked many a time before, but I need a little bit of advice to do next. Here's where I'm at.
I dropped me iPad 2 which cracked the screen. Although the touch screen still worked, the screen came loose and would not stick back.
I decided to remove screen, very carefully, with view to replace. With screen off to one side, I accidentally turned iPad on.
When it was on, without screen on it, the slide to unlock was moving a little as though someone was trying to unlock it. Also the screen zoomed in and out by it self.
Is this a normal thing that would happen if the screen was off and iPad turned on. Or could I have other problems here?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the touchscreen glass removed from the iPad anything is possible as to what is displayed on the screen. If you removed the glass and left the digitizer attached it could be shorting out on the case. It also could have a bit of dust touching in a place that it shouldn't.

OP
R

rogerde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks fid for reply,
The only other thing that happened when it was dropped was I lost wifi. Good reason for me to decide to remove screen as the cable for antenna by the home button had came away. New one on the way. With the new screen, can I test it before I stick it in. As I don't want to put it in and still have problems. Or should I just take the plunge and put it in anyway.

Thanks again

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the kit to replace the screen comes with sticky tape to hold the glass on then yes you can test it after you have it all hooked up and have the glass in place but not glued down. They should have that information in the instructions.
Some of the kits do not have included instructions. They do, however, usually include a link to a YouTube video showing what to do.

OP
R

rogerde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fid really glad for your advice.
Ok here's where I'm at. New wifi antenna installed. Screen came with stickers to hold it down already in place.
I did what you suggested by placing screen on without sticking it down. But the problem with the screen moving and zooming in and out is still there.
Also I can't move the slide to unlock.
I've googled problem and one suggestion was motherboard quartz chip, have you ever heard of this.
Starting to bang me head against the wall here. Looks like I'll be ending up in a local apple store.

Starting to worry me iPad is dead.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have the flu and concentration is just not there.

It could be something with the quartz chip, or one of the connectors is not seated properly. While you still have it open scan it with a magnifying glass. While you were removing the broken glass it is possible that you unseated one of the connections, or a bit of dust got inside one of the connections causing a short.

What words did you use in google to read about the quartz chip may be causing the trouble?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just had a thought, because my iPad wasn't responding correctly, have you tried a hard reboot. Holding the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. It took about thirty seconds of holding the buttons for me.

OP
R

rogerde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fid, really do appreciate your time on this. Can't remember exactly what I put on google search, but I ended up on this site: cyber doctor md. IPad 2 section and about 12-13 items down it says
iPad 2 Touch digitizer Quartz chip
Change this part if your touch behaves erratically (ghosting) or non responsive after a physical drop, electric short or water damage. Please check if your touch connector is not physically damaged and all pins are not bent or corroded then this is the part you want to change to fix your touch screen.
Change this quartz can fix digitizer touch problems.

I have done a hard reset with holding on and home buttons, made no difference.
Was thinking of doing a factory reset with itunes. I'll lose everything on it, that's not a problem.
I'm working tomorrow so I will take motherboard out and have a good look on the magnifying glass.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rogerde,

I was just reading in another thread where the guy's screen was jumping all over the place and he did a reset and reload of the iPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/46187-ipad-screen-weirdness.html
The one that caught my eye was the post that at this time is the second from the last. The posting person said that he did a list of things because his screen was acting up. It sounds sort of like what yours is doing.

Edit the posting person is DVDKEV who has the list of things he did to get his screen from jumping around.

Last edited:
OP
R

rogerde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks fid for info.
I'll take a look at thread. I did a reset and a reinstall off iPad software with iTunes. At first thought it made a difference, iPad logo and slide stayed in same place for about 15 mins, although I still could not slide to unlock. Then all of a sudden started acting up again.
Was thinking of taking to apple store, but I've been told the prob won't touch iPad that's been opened?
Will let you no if I get any joy. I'm taking motherboard into work in morning. We have a very good electrician (very clever) who will take a good look at it for me to check for any signs of damage around LCD ribbon and screen ribbon connectors.
Hope I get there in the end.
Keep you posted in a day or two. Fingers crossed.

Most reactions

Latest posts