What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Upgrade your iOS Jailbreak

m3gt2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what I am doing wrong but when I try to update to 4.3.3 stock in iTunes 10.3.1 for mac it shows an error saying the iPad isn't eligible for the requested build, I thought you could update from jb to stock or do I have to un jb 1st? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
m3gt2:

The best way is to follow the steps in this tutorial (helpfully provided by our very own f4780y): http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...des/26399-how-upgrade-your-ios-jailbreak.html

I know for a fact it works to upgrade from iOS 4.2.1 and then to restore/re-jailbreak on iOS 4.3.3.

The main secret is that it IS a bit tricky to upgrade a jailbroke iPad. With the help of sn0wbreeze and this tutorial, it's ... well ... a breeze. :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
m3gt2 said:
Not sure what I am doing wrong but when I try to update to 4.3.3 stock in iTunes 10.3.1 for mac it shows an error saying the iPad isn't eligible for the requested build, I thought you could update from jb to stock or do I have to un jb 1st? Thanks

Hi. If you are getting the message that the device is not eligible for the requested build for a current firmware (4.3.3), this is because you are no longer pointing toward Apple's signing servers. It is easy to sort.

Look at my sticky thread in the tutorials section on "How to resolve iTunes Error 3184". I know you don't have this error, but it you follow the steps to resolve it you will fix your "not eligible" problem!

Then, when you are ready to restore to 4.3.3, just make sure you do it from DFU mode since a stock firmware cannot be installed over a jailbroken one without using DFU mode. Again, we have a sticky on this in the main hacking section if you are unsure.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Serianni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have this packaged purchased yet and I was wondering if you have to use dropbox or is there another host available? Possibly even save it locally on my Mac? :)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Serianni said:
I don't have this packaged purchased yet and I was wondering if you have to use dropbox or is there another host available? Possibly even save it locally on my Mac? :)

No you don't have to use DB. It's simply free and convenient!

PkgBackup saves your backup data to a new Contact in your address book on your device and you can then email it or store it away wherever you like, or simply sync it with iTunes.

I would however seriously recommend you open a dropbox account, even if it is for just this one purpose. It only takes a minute and is much easier when it comes to restoring the data! Otherwise you have to get the Contact back on the device before you can restore, which whilst not difficult, it not as simple as providing your Dropbox email and password to pkgbackup....

San1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Serianni said:

No you don't have to use DB. It's simply free and convenient!

PkgBackup saves your backup data to a new Contact in your address book on your device and you can then email it or store it away wherever you like, or simply sync it with iTunes.

I would however seriously recommend you open a dropbox account, even if it is for just this one purpose. It only takes a minute and is much easier when it comes to restoring the data! Otherwise you have to get the Contact back on the device before you can restore, which whilst not difficult, it not as simple as providing your Dropbox email and password to pkgbackup....

It seems it doesn't work for me, I didn't upgrade my iOS, I was only restore my Jailbreak 4.3.3 after my Ipad Crashed.
The story was: I had already bought Pkgbackup and made account at Dropbox, and I had already made backup several times with Pkgbackup.
The problem began when my Ipad Crashed, so I must restore my Ipad, and did Jailbreak again. Install Pkgbackup from Cydia, and go to Pkgbackup for restore my Cydia preference. But when I enter dropbox and try to restore, suddenly all the backup files at Dropbox gone (deleted), and I don't know why it's deleted. So I installed the Cydia program manually one by one.
Pkgbackup is useless.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
San1967 said:
It seems it doesn't work for me, I didn't upgrade my iOS, I was only restore my Jailbreak 4.3.3 after my Ipad Crashed.
The story was: I had already bought Pkgbackup and made account at Dropbox, and I had already made backup several times with Pkgbackup.
The problem began when my Ipad Crashed, so I must restore my Ipad, and did Jailbreak again. Install Pkgbackup from Cydia, and go to Pkgbackup for restore my Cydia preference. But when I enter dropbox and try to restore, suddenly all the backup files at Dropbox gone (deleted), and I don't know why it's deleted. So I installed the Cydia program manually one by one.
Pkgbackup is useless.

So....when you check dropbox from pc....you no longer have a PKGbackup folder?

Are you sure you didnt save it to your contacts app on the ipad? Which should also be labeled PKGbackup.

San1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the Pkgbackup folder still there, but all the files inside the folder gone (deleted), because after jailbreaking my Ipad and try to restore the Cydia programs, my computer still online which means any changes at Dropbox will also effect my Dropbox folder in my computer.

I don't quite understand the second question about my contact in my Ipad.
The problem is my Ipad cannot be accessed, only Apple logo even I've tried to thetered boot it from Redsnow rc17. So I do restore.

I am sure I save it on Dropbox, for before this happened, I could see the backupfiles inside Pkgbackup folder on Dropbox folder.

Sorry for bad english.

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, however for me and a large number of others, PkgBackup has always worked flawlessly. I've never seen my backups disappear under any circumstances. Indeed, I used it twice yesterday for an iPad and iPhone and had no issues.

San1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all your response.
But now I already have the answer, and try the Pkgbackup with no problem, I try to delete one program from my Ipad, and I can restore it from Pkgbackup.

The problem I had before is because the bug before Version 4.3.12.
It's said at Version 4.3.12 (new one).
- Improvement for PKGbackup contact deletion.
- Bug fix : Dropbox files deleted after viewing available device backup.
- Bug fix : App crashed sometimes after viewing available device backup.
- Bug fix : App crashed in picker with empty device backup list.
- Bug fix : Dropbox diasbling when login failed/is canceled from the 'Settings' view.

The red note, I think what's happened to me.

So, don't forget to update your Pkgbackup to the new version.

Thx all

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
San1967 said:
Thank you for all your response.
But now I already have the answer, and try the Pkgbackup with no problem, I try to delete one program from my Ipad, and I can restore it from Pkgbackup.

The problem I had before is because the bug before Version 4.3.12.
It's said at Version 4.3.12 (new one).
- Improvement for PKGbackup contact deletion.
- Bug fix : Dropbox files deleted after viewing available device backup.
- Bug fix : App crashed sometimes after viewing available device backup.
- Bug fix : App crashed in picker with empty device backup list.
- Bug fix : Dropbox diasbling when login failed/is canceled from the 'Settings' view.

The red note, I think what's happened to me.

So, don't forget to update your Pkgbackup to the new version.

Thx all

I had the same issue on my iPad. Didn't even open it on my iPhone after noticing the problem. I have far more apps on that, that I hate to manually replace if I had to. I have since gotten the update.

Via my iPad 1 

Q3castle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question I use to uprgrade my ipad 2 to a firmware 4.3.3 and iTunes gives me that error: this device isn't eligible for the requested build

Most reactions

Latest posts