What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Upgrade your iOS Jailbreak

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my 4.3.1 jailbreak to 4.3.2 using sn0wbreeze. Several people have asked for a rundown of the process, and it should be applicable to upgrading any version of JB iOS to any other version (including the same version number):

Personally I use PkgBackup (a paid app in Cydia) to ensure I can backup and restore my JB configuration when doing minor OS upgrades. There are other free solutions which may work for you. I also use DropBox for backup storage as it is free and convenient.

The premise of this approach is that you want your Jailbroken iPad to be exactly the same at the end of the restore as it was at the beginning, except with an upgraded IOS.

The following twelve step procedure was used to achieve the upgrade:

1. Perform PkgBackup backup onto DropBox for all JB apps, settings & repos - This is as simple as pressing the "Backup" button in PkgBackup (once you have provided your details and configured your backup options - use the "cog" button in PkgBackup to set these).
2. Perform full iTunes Synchronisation to backup all iTunes apps, settings, & media sync settings.
3. Create and install a sn0wbreeze custom firmware - The full tutorial is available here. Using sn0wbreeze is the easiest approach for an upgrade in my opinion, however...

...you could also put your device into DFU Mode (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html) and restore the iOS version you are moving to using iTunes. Then follow either our redsn0w tutorial (http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...tutorial-jailbreak-ipad1-redsn0w-windows.html) or visit jailbreakme.com if you device and version of IOS is suitable for this method - The end result just needs to be the same. Once you have finished you should have a clean iPad freshly jailbroken with Cydia on it!

4. Once freshly jailbroken, disconnect the iPad and connect to your wifi network (if applicable).
5. Open Cydia and install PkgBackup as the first package (also installs several dependant packages).
6. Reboot iPad.
7. Open PkgBackup and configure to connect to DropBox and switch to the "View Restore" tab.
8. Perform full restore from backup made in step 1 using PkgBackup. Sometimes, for particularly complex setups, you may need to reboot and run the exact same restore operation again to get all packages restored. This is due to a limitation in the way some package dependencies resolve in complex setups.
9. Reboot iPad and connect to iTunes.
10. Select 'Restore iPad from previous backup of' option when prompted and ensure the backup you made in step 2 is selected.
11. Allow the restore to complete and your iPad to reboot – do not disconnect from iTunes.
12. Once rebooted and reconnected to iTunes, press the “Sync†button to synchronise all your Apps and Media back to the iPad.

At the end of this process you should have a jailbroken iPad with precisely the same configuration as you started with, but on the new operating system.

All in all this process took around 2.5 hours, however the vast majority of this (2 hours) was step 12 which is re-syncing 50GB+ of media to my iPad. If you plan the process well the iPad can be left unattended at this stage and you can go off and do something more interesting until it completes!

Hope this helps others understand the process I went through.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
so if I'm already Jb on 4.2.1...I should do a complete upgrade to fresh 4.3.2 then jb or can I simply do this over the existing 4.2.1 jb?

Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
so if I'm already Jb on 4.2.1...I should do a complete upgrade to fresh 4.3.2 then jb or can I simply do this over the existing 4.2.1 jb?

If you are following the above method, it should work fine, as Snowbreeze installes the newer firmware, for other jail breaking tools, you would add a step 2.5 (upgrading the firmware via iTunes)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:

If you are following the above method, it should work fine, as Snowbreeze installes the newer firmware, for other jail breaking tools, you would add a step 2.5 (upgrading the firmware via iTunes)

Yes. If you substitute the redsn0w tutorial in step 3 it says you must already have the firmware you want to install on your iPad. Therefore, before step 3 (2.5 is fine!) you would need to restore the iPad to stock 4.3.2 using iTunes whilst the iPad is in DFU mode. Then just follow the redsn0w tutorial.

San1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sir, is it possible to upgrade from 4.2.1 jailbreak with greenpoison to 4.3.3 with snowbreeze without make changes on the ipad, only upgrade the iOS?
Thx.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sir, is it possible to upgrade from 4.2.1 jailbreak with greenpoison to 4.3.3 with snowbreeze without make changes on the ipad, only upgrade the iOS?
Thx.

Yes, if you follow the tutorial above exactly as it is written (using the sn0wbreeze tutorial where directed in step 3) you will get the result you are looking for. It does not matter that you are on 4.2.1 at the moment.That is why I wrote the tutorial. There is no other "trick" available to just update the OS and leave everything else alone. It's a pain, but this really is the shortest method (which I know of anyway)

The good news is I have done this process many times and it works perfectly provided you follow the steps EXACTLY.

Last edited:

San1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand the first step. I've already install the backup program, but nothing happen when i click backup, what's dropbox mean?.
Thx

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
San1967 said:
I don't understand the first step. I've already install the backup program, but nothing happen when i click backup, what's dropbox mean?.
Thx

Tap the circular arrow in the bottom left. It will scan your packages, then tap backup. Dropbox is an online storage where you can save your backups. It's free.

rehabdirector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread. I just purchased pkgbackup. Before I get started, I wanted to ask....

Can I use this process if I am upgrading from 3.2?

Most reactions

Latest posts