What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW-TO: Print from your iPad

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Print-from-iPad.jpg

I recently had someone ask me if I knew how to print from an iPad, and my response was... well, I'm sure you can. And then I realized I had no idea how. So, to everyone who wonders about this, I’ve decided to show you how to print from an iPad.

The first thing you’ll need to do is to make sure your printer is AirPrint-enabled. AirPrint is the technology Apple uses to easily print photos and documents straight from an Apple device or computer. If you’re not sure if your printer is AirPrint-enabled, click here to see a list of AirPrint-enabled printers. If your printer is NOT AirPrint-enabled, skip the next couple of paragraphs to the “Don’t have an AirPrint-enabled printer?” section of this article, and then return here:

If your printer has the AirPrint technology, here are your next steps.

1. Open the app that has the photo or document you’d like to print. There should be a ‘print’ option somewhere, either after you tap the Share (
yosemite-preview-share-inline_icon-en.png
) icon, or possibly the Settings (
ios8-gear_settings-inline_icon-en.png
) icon.
2. Tap Print (
yosemite-print-inline_icon-en.png
).
ios-7-dialog-box.jpg

3. Choose an AirPrint-enabled printer
4. Choose the number of copies
iphone6-ios8-photos-select_print.png

5. Tap Print.

It’s possible that you wont see your printer here. If this is the case, make sure your iPad and your printer are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Don’t have an AirPrint-enabled printer?
The way to circumvent this is to download an app that will trick your iPad into thinking that your Printer has the AirPrint technology by going through a computer.

Use O’Print if you have Windows, and try HandyPrint if you have a Mac.

Either of these apps will show you a list of printers that are installed on your Mac or PC. Select the printer you want to print from. Now try to print, using the steps listed above.

Happy Printing.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nice. Another good Mac Airprint app is Printopia. It costs, but has extra features like the ability to print to folders or apps. It's on of the very first Airprint apps for OS X, and I've been happy using it for years.

Printopia - Print from your iPad or iPhone - Decisive Tactics, Inc.

While I have no knowledge about how secure CNET's download service is (odds are CNET is trustworthy), it is usually better to download applications directly from the developer's site. It's fairly common for criminals to sneak malware versions of apps into download sites. A pitty, because they used to be "the way" to get stuff.

Here is the handyPring site link, if anyone wants it.

Netputing » handyPrint v5

OP
DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks @twerppoet! Link updated.

I don't have a PC, so I haven't actually tried O'Print. Maybe someone who has a PC can chime in here about it, or maybe if they have another app they use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I've been keeping an eye on the printing solutions for a while. Though like you I don't' have a PC to try it on, O'Print is the most commonly suggested, and praised, solution.

Their used to be a free PC solution like handyPrint, based on the same open software. Unfortunately it seems to have disappeared.

And, this is the first I've heard of handyPrint, so I should thank you as well. Thank you. It's always good to know of another solution.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a Windows based product named Fingerprint from Collobos software. It runs as a Windows service and allows printing from iOS devices on the same network. Sadly it looks like it is no longer part of their current product line but I may be wrong.

There are still trial versions on CNet and other sites. Cost to buy was @ $10 after the trial period.

They do still support it since my PC died and I just replaced it. They provided me with a new serial number at N/C so I could re-install on the new box.

OP
DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a Windows based product named Fingerprint from Collobos software. It runs as a Windows service and allows printing from iOS devices on the same network. Sadly it looks like it is no longer part of their current product line but I may be wrong.

There are still trial versions on CNet and other sites. Cost to buy was @ $10 after the trial period.

They do still support it since my PC died and I just replaced it. They provided me with a new serial number at N/C so I could re-install on the new box.
Do you like Fingerprint? Whats your take on it? Simple to use?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

When we were on Windows computers (changed to Macs in spring of 2013), I used Fingerprint to print from our iPads to non-AirPrint printers - Collobos stopped offering the product a while ago - short quote below (click the source link for more information) - we now have newer AirPrint compatible printers. Dave :)

Note: FingerPrint has been superseded by Collobos Software’s new product, Presto. Please click here to go to the Presto knowledge base article. You should contact Collobos if you want to upgrade from FingerPrint to Presto (Source)

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My experience with it is that it is iplug and play.

No convuluted install or configuration needed. I was suprised that it is no longer a standalone product.

Presto appears to be overkill for the home user.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can select color or just black for your print out. I have my printer for black cartridge only but unless you select black on the iPad selection menu you will a get color print out.

Most reactions

Latest posts