What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from Microsoft One Note

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears their is no way of printing from one note on my iPad air 2 to my "Apple Air Print" enabled printer. I have tried emailing the page to myself using gmail, then printing the email, but the text size is to small.
How do I print a page from One Note without the text size being to small?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you email the note it should create PDF attachment in the email. You can not change the size of text in that PDF; however, if you increase the size of the text in OneNote before emailing the note it will create a PDF with larger text.

To increase the text in the note tap and hold on some text until you get the pop-up menu. Choose Select All (selects the current paragraph), then Select All again from the next pop-up menu (slects all text). Tap on the Font tool in the tool bar and choose a larter size.

The default font/size in OneNote appears to be Calibre 11. When I print this I get something slighly smaller than what you'd see in most printed letters, but I wouldn't call it all that small. When I change it to Calibre 20 it's about the same size as a children's book. You'll have to experiment to see what you can get.

I could not find a convinient way to print or copy notes out of OneNote beyond emailing them as PDFs; but I don't use OneNote, so there might be some hiden trick I didn't find.

Note: Having to chose Select All twice to actually select all text is pretty weired. OneNote is the only app I've seen that does this.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet is quite correct. If you view the help file and search for print Microsoft actually state that email is the only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you email the note it should create PDF attachment in the email. You can not change the size of text in that PDF; however, if you increase the size of the text in OneNote before emailing the note it will create a PDF with larger text.

To increase the text in the note tap and hold on some text until you get the pop-up menu. Choose Select All (selects the current paragraph), then Select All again from the next pop-up menu (slects all text). Tap on the Font tool in the tool bar and choose a larter size.

The default font/size in OneNote appears to be Calibre 11. When I print this I get something slighly smaller than what you'd see in most printed letters, but I wouldn't call it all that small. When I change it to Calibre 20 it's about the same size as a children's book. You'll have to experiment to see what you can get.

I could not find a convinient way to print or copy notes out of OneNote beyond emailing them as PDFs; but I don't use OneNote, so there might be some hiden trick I didn't find.

Note: Having to chose Select All twice to actually select all text is pretty weired. OneNote is the only app I've seen that does this.

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I had considered increasing the text size in One Note prior to emailing it to myself, but that also would be problematic. I need to maintain the exact page layout. If I reduce the text size, no problem, but if I increase text size, the layout will be altered.

Update: My original question was prompted by the purchase of a new printer. As the printer is an HP, I have since learned of, and downloaded an app for the iPad called "HP ePrint" which apparently allows the printing of files and folders from One Drive. I have not tested this out yet, but hopefully it will work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I remember correctly HP eprint works by sending the file as an email attachment to an online service, which then sends it back to your printer via your internet connection. Iis likely the printing itself will work; however, it is the same PDF file being printed either way, so the final result will probably be the same.

The other problem is that while OneNote stores files in OneDrive, it does not do so in a standard fromat. OneNote can read OneNote files from OneDrive.

One of the things I tried when experimenting with OneNote was to access the file in OneDrive, hoping I could read and print it using a different app, like Word. No success. The OneNote file was ghosted, and could not be opened.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've come up wiht a different work around for printing files from OneNote, however it requires a third party app and whatever formating you've set up in OneNote probably won't show up in the print out.

What is I do is select all the text in the note and copy it. Then I use the Workflow app to take the contents of the clipboard, create a PDF, and print the file. Of course, I could probably do the same thing by just pasting it into Word or Pages, but it's slightly fewer steps to do it in Workflow.

On the other hand, you could try adjusting the font/layout in Word or Pages before printing.

None of this is particularly convinient. Then again, neither is emailing the file and then printing it.

Most reactions