What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get Used Ipads past the activation screen

Wingryder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about buy some used Ipads for grandkids. (based on grades of course) I see a lot of these on Ebay and elsewhere that say they are not able to be activated.. or get past the activation screen because previous owner did not deauthorize it. I am looking at WiFi only devices so we are only talking about Apple authorization only (I guess), not cell company data. What steps can be taken to make these pads usable again? As a last resort would Apple "clear" it if sent to them?

Thanks for your assistance
Wingryder

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking about buy some used Ipads for grandkids. (based on grades of course) I see a lot of these on Ebay and elsewhere that say they are not able to be activated.. or get past the activation screen because previous owner did not deauthorize it. I am looking at WiFi only devices so we are only talking about Apple authorization only (I guess), not cell company data. What steps can be taken to make these pads usable again? As a last resort would Apple "clear" it if sent to them?

Thanks for your assistance
Wingryder

As far as we know, there is NO way to get an iPad past the activation screen if the previous owner has not de-authorized it. None.

I'm sure there is something Apple can do, but you'll have to have the receipts and paperwork for the device - all the way back to the first sale (how else could you prove the thing was never stolen without ALL the receipts?).

Given what I've seen about the security changes in iOS 7, my advice is to stay well away from any "deals" like this. I don't believe you'll ever get them activated and you'll just end up very frustrated with your money wasted.

My $.02 (USD).

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree with Marilyn on this. It is the previous owners' responsibility to restore these devices. If they can not do so then they have no business selling it to someone else, even if the iPad is not stolen; and stolen is what you should assume in these cases unless otherwise proven.

That is the new reality of iOS 7.

Expect it to become common in other mobile OS's over the next couple years. Cellular providers, manufacturers, and law enforcement are starting to work together to stop the runaway market in stollen phones, and to a lesser degree tablets. The most talked about method, like iOS 7, is to make the devices difficult to impossible to resell without the original owner's participation.

gobbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard that when the ios 7 jailbreak is released, it will be able to bypass the activation screen. Any truth to this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard that when the ios 7 jailbreak is released, it will be able to bypass the activation screen. Any truth to this?

The odds are pretty good that bypassing the activation screen will continue to NOT be possible, even with a jail break.

And no, I've not heard this rumor and I would discount it. Jailbreaks are not designed to bypass the security of a phone...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts