What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you show off your iPad capability?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flipboard is my first choice. I would almost buy an iPad just for that app.

Netflix is always good. Of course, this assumes Netflix will still be available after Apple's changes to subscription services.

What subscription service changes are you referring to?

Starting in July, Apple requires that basically any app that allows people to sign up for a subscription through the app gives Apple 30% of the fee. It also requires that the app cannot charge more for Apple devices than is available outside of the iOS ecosystem.

Basically, Apple is absolutely screwing companies like Amazon and Netflix. there is no way they can stay on iOS without charging more for their subscriptions, because they aren't making 30% profit to begin with. Its a ridiculous move that if Microsoft was doing would land them sued to death.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting in July, Apple requires that basically any app that allows people to sign up for a subscription through the app gives Apple 30% of the fee. It also requires that the app cannot charge more for Apple devices than is available outside of the iOS ecosystem.

Basically, Apple is absolutely screwing companies like Amazon and Netflix. there is no way they can stay on iOS without charging more for their subscriptions, because they aren't making 30% profit to begin with. Its a ridiculous move that if Microsoft was doing would land them sued to death.

Yes. Those types of heavy handed tactics are what made Apple the loveable underdog for so many years, first against IBM and later against Microsoft. It will be interesting to see if the Apple faithful continue to stand by the company now that Apple is the one with the heavy hands. In the end it is just business. It was never that Apple wasn't as ruthless as the rest, they just never had the leverage.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If someone has already decided that he or she "hates" the iPad, chances are there's really nothing you can say or do to change that opinion, and you needn't waste your time with them.

On the other hand, there could be other people who are merely curious about your device and haven't had the chance to see for themselves what the big deal is. That's when you can share your experience and show them how you use your device.

Kevin1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does depend on how interested they are. I'm happy to show what I know how to do on it. I usually ask what they already know about the iPad and I also ask what they usually do on their computers and go from there.

Kevin Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was actually very pessimistic about the 4.2.1 update, and didn't upgrade until the untethered jailbreak came out. I am glad I updated.

I would show off the way you can easily switch apps using the multitasking bar. I would show off the very intelligent idea to always have media controls in that multitasking bar, which controls the last used media app. I really like this feature.

After that though, I would have to show off a bunch of the jailbreak features I have added. The only other things are some of the apps.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My way of showing off was simple enough. I only really ever took it to school and work, and only really used it for studying. I used a flash card program called "Cramberry" and my classmates and coworkers seemed to really be impressed by just that one app, didn't even have to show them the rest of it.

Oh, and also the Gray's Anatomy app, they loved that.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes I think the case I have attracts as much, if not more, attention than the device itself. (They know what it looks like and what it does, after all, but many of them have not seen a Moleskine-style case for iPad.)

In many ways, the iPad is such an intuitive, user-friendly device it sells itself, without needing much help from the rest of us.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Sometimes I think the case I have attracts as much, if not more, attention than the device itself. (They know what it looks like and what it does, after all, but many of them have not seen a Moleskine-style case for iPad.)

In many ways, the iPad is such an intuitive, user-friendly device it sells itself, without needing much help from the rest of us.

...to make it short it's buyer friendly too... :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, not so friendly on the pricing, but then Apple don't really cater in a big way to the "budget buyer" market.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Well, not so friendly on the pricing, but then Apple don't really cater in a big way to the "budget buyer" market.

I disagree Apple made a quality product this is not a cheap badly designed netbook and it is well worth the price of $500 entry level

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:

I disagree Apple made a quality product this is not a cheap badly designed netbook and it is well worth the price of $500 entry level

True, but also not true. The iPad was absolutely worth $500 six months ago. Now, the same technology should be $300. Its quality hardware, but outdated hardware. Part of the reason Apple can sell iPad's so "cheap" when they launched is that they keey their price point for an entire year so their profits SOAR as time goes on. They can take a small margin initially knowing they are going to cash in later on.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think you've misunderstood my point (I never said anything about quality), which is simply that Apple does not price its items nor does it try to compete in the budget market. When you buy an Apple product, you are paying a premium for the "brand".

In any case, the cheapest iPad in Australia is $629, or 26% higher than what it would cost in the US in equivalent currency.

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't really talk that much about the ipad, but I do use it frequently around people, and if they're curious enough they'll ask, I'll let them use it for a while. It's mostly the games they pay attention to, but they did like the Bible app though. Sometimes my ebook collection as well as my pictures and music folder.

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The things that bring the most "Ahhhh"s from people are: Pocket Pond (make sure your volume is up), Pinball HD, Smule's Magic Piano and Magic Fiddle (make sure you've practiced a little first), Magic Window, Google Earth, National Geographic magazine - and - saving my favorite for last - miTypewriter.

Honorable mention to Dragon Dictation.

Most reactions

Latest posts