What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotspot for iPad, iPhone or Droid?

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad for on-the-road internet access but the ATT 3G doesn't get it done. I have yet to find coverage in the rural areas of Utah and Colorado where I like to Jeep. Nearly always I have Verizon coverage. I have a Verizon cell phone, so maybe it makes more sense to get a Verizon smart phone for internet access. Then I can hotspot data to the iPad.

For smartphones Verizon now has both i-Phones and Droids. Which is the more useful for travel internet -- weather, restaurants, personal email etc? Will my iPad care?

Shade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a rooted samsung fascinate and use a wireless tether, and it syncs with my Ipad very easily. Honestly, I like having a droid and an IPad because i'll get the best of both worlds. But im sure users on here will tell you to go with the Iphone.

OP
W

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, the salesman said the same thing. Either would work, but having a Droid spreads the net further. Still...he's a salesman.:)

I'd rather hear from users.

Shade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy with my droid. I think it all really matters with what is your preference. Have you played with a droid? That os offers a whole new platform of options and customizations that the iOS doesn't like widgets, different home launchers and such. Plus you have access to all droid apps and flash. New phones coming out offer dual and quad core processors (if you are into gaming).

iPhone is nice. I'm not too eager to switch over (as I have an iPad) and I'm happy with being able to get the benefits of both operating systems.

Seeing as how the iPhone 5 will be coming out within the next year and I get a chance to upgrade by then, I may but for now I'm happy.

And rooting my phone is just as easy as jail breaking. I get service everywhere.

Also, another plus is that droids have interchangeable batteries. So in essence you could buy an additional battery for your droid and pop it in when the first one is empty. As tethering the phone drains the battery faster. This is good when you are on the go and using the Internet for a long time. I've got two spares with me.

Last edited:

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Droid to get wifi on my iPad at work. I love it and, like someone else mentioned, I get the best of both worlds. I'm never really shutout from any kind of app or functionality.

powerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gatecitycanes said:
I use my Droid to get wifi on my iPad at work. I love it and, like someone else mentioned, I get the best of both worlds. I'm never really shutout from any kind of app or functionality.

How do u do this can't seem to make mine work? Any help would be great help

Rich2putt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a rooted samsung fascinate and use a wireless tether, and it syncs with my Ipad very easily. Honestly, I like having a droid and an IPad because i'll get the best of both worlds. But im sure users on here will tell you to go with the Iphone.

I have a Blackberry phone that I can tether (via Sprint) with my work pc. How can it be used with my iPad2? or can it?

Reaction score
For smartphones Verizon now has both i-Phones and Droids. Which is the more useful for travel internet -- weather, restaurants, personal email etc? Will my iPad care?

Your iPad won't care.
As far as which is better iPhone or Droid that is a truly personal decision as both will work fine for what you asked. Both have a ton of apps to choose from on theirs markets that will be more than adequate for your queries. Navionics is available for iPhone only and is the best navigation app I've seen for water navigating. On land Google maps works fine on both.
I use my phone,Droid Incredible, for the things my iPad won't do and my iPad for it's bigger screen and more polished apps. When out and about while being active I leave my iPad at home. It's too big to be practical for me when being physically active whereas my phone is in a holster or a waterproof/ shock resistant carry case on my bike.
One thing about Apple is there is only 1 OS on 1 UI vs several possible UIs with Android so you won't run into the possible lesser experience of the OS being held back by the phone it's on like with Android. There is only 1 iPhone with Verizon whereas with Android and Verizon you've got several possibilities with some being excellent and some not worth a hoot.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Most reactions

Latest posts