Verizon 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Carey, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Carey

Carey iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow am I confused after reading through everything I could tonight...can anyone please help clarify?

I was just gifted a 3G iPad and since I currently have our phones with Verizon that's who I initially thought I would go with for my iPad since they have the best coverage out here. But am I correct in understanding that even though Verizon has 3G and offers plans for 3G devices, my iPad would still require a MiFi device and would actually be using wifi, not 3G? And if I'm understanding that correctly, does that mean I would or would not have 3G functionality such as GPS?

Saw tonight that Verizon is offering $29.99 unlimited plans for 3G Smartphones so I'm thinking it might make more sense to get that Droid Incredible I've had my eye on and use it as a hotspot? Even if I pay the extra $20 month for the hotspot, that would be $50/month for unlimited data for both devices, correct?

2. Pocobear

Pocobear iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    You would still have GPS capabilities, however it would not be as accurate without the 3G signal. I understand that it's not that big of a deal.

I would check with several sources about using the the iPad tethered to the Droid or any other phone. I have heard that it makes for a slow connection when tethered.

And the iPad many have to be jailbroken.

3. maryinredding

maryinredding iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Neither your phone nor your ipad have to be jailbroken to use tethering. I have a Palm Pre from Sprint that I use as a hotspot. Yes, it is slower than 3G but in a pinch it will work. You can get a program on the web for android based phones that can turn your phone into a hotspot without jailbreaking. To do it legally, you would have to pay the hotspot fee which I believe is $29.99 through Sprint for some of their new phones.

4. Mike1955

Mike1955 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your area has 4G you could purchase an iSpot device for $99. Of course 4G is brand new and its coverage is limited now.

5. Carey

Carey iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It was easiest for now to pay the extra $20 month to Verizon to have the 3G Mobile Hotspot enabled on my phone. iPad is not slow at all tethered using this method, but it is limited to 2GB/month. Was hoping it would piggyback on my unlimited plan, but no. :(

6. bL33d

bL33d iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a rooted droid and use the wifi tether app for free and get my unlimited data aswell.

Not that i use it much as i never leave home with my ipad and i have dsl wireless at home. But i tried the wifi tether and it was pretty fast so its nice to have that option if we go on a trip.

7. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I have an env touch from verizon and I used the dun hack (google it) and I use ibluever (Cydia jailbroken) to tether Internet over Bluetooth. It uses less battery and it is faster than wifi tethering.

8. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Check to see if Clear has you covered with it's 4G network. If so, you can purchase their iSpot for $99 (or $20 if you catch it on sale), and pay $25/mo for unlimited, month to month data.

Understandably, 4G may not be in your area. But since it is growing fast, I would recommend not locking yourself into any 3G plan/contract, as unlimited 4G is a much better wireless connectivity experience for a mere $25/mo. Not to mention it has a 150 ft radius vs. a 32 ft radius, and you can tether up to 8 devices, vs 4 or 5 (depending on the carrier/router). If you find that another wireless provider isn't offering 4G service in your area for some time, I would utilize any reliable 3G service in the mean time, as long as it was affordable and contract free.

9. Mark_K

Mark_K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do you get the $25/month data plan? I just see the $45 and $55 plans on Clear's website.

10. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    The MiFi plans are $45 and up; the iSpot plan is $25 because the device is limited to Apple iDevices (iPods, iPads, iPhones). Clear was selling the iSpot last week for $20 and I suspect they were dumping them - they pulled the device from their web site this week, and now show only the MiFi option. You can still get the iSpot in stores for the $25 plan (but at the full $99 price), but you can't order it online anymore as it apparently sold out.

Xune, SeaRat and I have a thread going about the iSpot: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-carriers/15409-4g-experiences.html