What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please

Vic8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife just left her iPad on a plane. She suspects that the cleaning crew ended up with it. We never downloaded any type of app for this scenario. Does anyone know of anything we can try in order to recover it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is a 3G with an AT&T data plan they may be able to help you find it. They will at least know if it is on and accessing the internet.

I assume you've called the Airline's lost and found or baggage claim dept.

OP
V

Vic8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did call the airlines and they were less than helpful. As for the Ipad, it is not 3g and not with AT&T. Crappy thing is that I have find my iphone on my ipad and my iphone but not on my wife's ipad. Is the only way to track these gadgets by way of an app that was previously downloaded:(?

Reaction score
Vic8 said:
I did call the airlines and they were less than helpful. As for the Ipad, it is not 3g and not with AT&T. Crappy thing is that I have find my iphone on my ipad and my iphone but not on my wife's ipad. Is the only way to track these gadgets by way of an app that was previously downloaded:(?

Sadly it seems to be the only accurate way of tracking a device remotely.

Now, you could still go to an Apple store and report your iPad stolen. In case someone ever brings it to the apple store for repairs, as they can identify the iPad and who it's real owner is, but this identification is only possible via USB.

I wonder whether the iPad activation sends its serial number to Apple and links it with the Apple ID, as this would allow Apple to track which accounts are used on the device.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just a 'sort of' lateral thought - did you have travel insurance? If you paid for your airline tickets by credit card you might find you do automatically have insurance - for example I get automatic insurance for lost bags *and personal items* when I book my flights with my AMEX card. Have a careful look at the small print and think about putting in a claim.

Tim
Scotland

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPhones are very accurate in the 'Find My Phone' app. The wifi iPad, however, can be off up to half a block, or more, from its actual location. I had my iPad stolen and while it did show a location it was not there. In watching the tracking on my new iPad I have place my iPhone and iPad right next to each other and the iPhone shows right on top of my house right on top of the room in it in. The iPad shows down the block about four houses and across the street.

When submitting a claim through AmEx, they want a 'ton' of documentation and a copy of your insurance declaiation paperwork, police report, copy of your AmEx bill that shows the purchace, copy of sales receipt... the works. They only pay you what they can not collect through either your home insurance or busines insurance.

OP
V

Vic8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Gives me something to think about for the next purchase.

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I flew from Philadelphia to San Deigo via United back in the summer. Left my iPad on the plane. As I was taking the shuttle to the get my rental car, I received a call from both my wife and the airline informing me that the cleaning crew found it and it would be waiting in the luggage office at the airport. Turns out I left my boarding pass in the case and they were able to identify me and contact me based on my contact info on my ticket.

Turns out there are some honest people out there!

Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts