What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get Contacts in Mail

Kafka.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has a new iPad. We have set up just about everything, despite the iPad coming without any instructions. We have Mail up and running but cannot find any reference to Contacts. In Thunderbird on my PC contacts are contained in Address Book, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar on iPad Mail. My wife would like to set up a contact group containing the addresses for her book club so that she can send a message to all her friends in the one email. I have downloade the Outlook app but cannot find this facility there either. Help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When searching/adding addresses in Mail, it primarily looks in the Contacts app. It will also show addresses from previously sent or received emails when you do a search.

Mail can send to groups. Which is surprising. You didn’t used to be able to, and I’m not sure when they added it. While you can have groups in the Contacts app, for some strange reason you can’t create groups the native Contacts app. Nor can you add contacts to existing groups.

There are three ways that I know of to send group emails.

One is to go to the icloud.com site and use the tools in the Contacts app there to create groups and add contacts to them. You have to be using iCloud to store/sync your contacts.

The second is to use a third party contacts app that syncs with the native Contacts app. The one I use is Cardhop: ‎Cardhop

Once a group is set up you can search for and add it to an email just like any other address. In the case of multiple addresses in a contact, it appears to choose the top/first one listed. There is the ability to tap on a contact in Mail after adding it and switching the address.

A third choice is an old hack that used to be the only way to send group emails in the Mail app. Use a third party app that creates a special contact entry in Contacts that has multiple emails crammed together. I use to use Mailshot for this. ‎MailShot- Group Email

3CB95DD7-6E0C-4EE0-A3F4-903F81B51673.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My wife has a new iPad. We have set up just about everything, despite the iPad coming without any instructions. We have Mail up and running but cannot find any reference to Contacts. In Thunderbird on my PC contacts are contained in Address Book, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar on iPad Mail. My wife would like to set up a contact group containing the addresses for her book club so that she can send a message to all her friends in the one email. I have downloade the Outlook app but cannot find this facility there either. Help!!

Hi Kafka - welcome to the forum! :) TP has already given you great advice about non-Apple 'Contacts' apps and how to setup group emailing, but just to add a few more comments: 1) Apple's 'Contacts App' is already on the iPad (see first pic below); and 2) Open the 'Books App' and do a search as shown in the 2nd pic - download Apple's free manual for the latest version of iPadOS. Post back if you have other questions. Dave
IMG_1333.PNG
IMG_1334.PNG

Most reactions