What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Un-link accounts?

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good morning,

My wife and I each have ipads and iPhones.
WiFi is with Spectrum and phone is Verizon.
Way back when, I set up my first iPad on iTunes.
Then I bought an iPad for my wife.(bear in mind that she has her own individual email account on Spectrum)
The problem is that when she tries to do anything, she’s asked for my information.( i.e. Apple ID etc.)
And when I upgraded my iPad and gave her my old one (that I did a reset on) same issue.
Her iPhone has the same issue. We would really like individual accounts.
It’s not the end of the world. But, it is annoying.
Thanks for listening.
Best,
Mark

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You will need to sign out of your Apple account on both the devices your wife now uses - and then restore them both to factory settings.
Your wife can then set up each device as new, creating an Apple ID In the setting up process.

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You will need to sign out of your Apple account on both the devices your wife now uses - and then restore them both to factory settings.
Your wife can then set up each device as new, creating an Apple ID In the setting up process.

Will all of her data be lost? Should she backup to the cloud first?
I don’t want to mess things up.

Thank you
Mark

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
She can’t back up the data to iCloud until she has an account, so unless the data can be copied elsewhere, it will be lost on resetting the devices.

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I guess we are stuck with what we have..
I certainly appreciate your advice and effort.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
She can sign out of your iCloud/Apple ID on her iDevices without losing her data and the apps installed on her devices. When she signs out of iCloud, she gets the options to save data on the iPad or iPhone:
56472DBB-BCBD-495E-86A2-9C06587FD5AF.jpeg

That done, she can create her own ID, and backup her data immediately to iCloud. It’s not necessary to wipe the devices before setting them up with her own ID.
Additionally: if you set up Family Sharing, she still has access to your music, apps (via App Store), tv - whichever you decide to share with her.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts