What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Please !! in accessing external drives

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 external hard drives that I would like to be able to access via my ipad. I recently bought a belkin usb network hub and plugged my hard drives into that. This works a treat accessing them wirelessly via my laptop. I was planning on filebrowser but have since learned it wont work with the hub.

Therefore I am open to any ideas on how I achieve what I want. Is there a possible compatible app, can I access my drives through the web. Please help as I am slowly going mad trying to solve this.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that a 'PC remote desktop' program, such as GoToMyPC, would do what you want. You'd be able to wirelessly control your PC from your iPad - and that would include the ability to upload/download files from the PC environment to your iPad.

Also GoodReader can, via WiFi, upload/download files from a PC - I use this all the time to move my files to and from my Windows laptop. When I do this I can 'see' all the drives connected to my PC.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
many thanks for your reply, I am hoping I can achieve what I want without the need to have my laptop on all the time. I looked at gotomypc and drop box but I am reluctant to pay a fee.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - sorry about that. Life is a bit more difficult then! I'll think some more....

Tim
Scotland

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can easily do this with a Network Attached Storage (NAS).

Mine is accessible from FileBrowser. If your secondary drives are USB you can plug them in the NAS and it works. I do this frequently with all kinds of usb data storage devices including hard disks, card readers and thumb drives.

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
can you reccommend a cheap NAS that would do the trick

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
The answer is "file browser" an app at the store for $3.99 I think. This app is perfect for accessing remote storage acrross a network. You can delete, copy, move, create new dir, even download files. I believe there is a free version available that is limited to PDF and text file. Items possible tom also stream media content thru is as well, but these must be already in iPad format (mp4 file).
Check it out and let us know how you went.

Most reactions

Latest posts