What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you suggest an external hard drive to use with the ipad?

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need to buy a hard drive to replace my broken external hard drive. I'm looking for wireless capabilities so I can read/write from my ps3 and or iPad/iPod.
I will mainly use it for my playstation 3 to watch my home video clips and this will be via USB, however I would like to either connect it to wifi at a later stage or provide its own wifi hotspot so I don't need an Internet connection at home and can still connect my devices.
I would love to be able to back my iPad up to this hard drive if it has a cloud service but I'm unsure if this is possible yet, I don't like iCloud so would prefer it on hard drive as I don't use a PC either. It will be used as a portable hard drive but not often, so most of the time it will be stand still.

A tall order I know but I'm having difficulties finding one that fits the job, so I wondered if anyone had any suggestions or tell me what your using and if that works?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Airstash+
Seagate goflex satellite

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does sound to me you really need several products. The Go Flex Satellite will fit the bill for the portability, but for backing up and use with your PS3, you really need a networked NAS drive like the ones WD put out My World Series. The newer models have cloud functionality, built in media servers and plenty of storage space. Connect to your network by plugging into your router and your good to go.

For backing up, you will still need to use a PC or Mac and iTunes, but you can move your entire library to your NAS, so effectively all your media, apps, and back-ups are stored on your NAS and not your PC. For mostly home use, this is the way to go.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recommend the NAS western digital drive available on 1,2,3 TV it just works. Not only local but also remote

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
It does sound to me you really need several products. The Go Flex Satellite will fit the bill for the portability, but for backing up and use with your PS3, you really need a networked NAS drive like the ones WD put out My World Series. The newer models have cloud functionality, built in media servers and plenty of storage space. Connect to your network by plugging into your router and your good to go.

For backing up, you will still need to use a PC or Mac and iTunes, but you can move your entire library to your NAS, so effectively all your media, apps, and back-ups are stored on your NAS and not your PC. For mostly home use, this is the way to go.

col.bris said:
I recommend the NAS western digital drive available on 1,2,3 TV it just works. Not only local but also remote

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Another vote for NAS.......checkout this section of the forums http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/

The Archangel

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found another drive, can you give me your votes on this one? IOMEGA Home Media Network Hard Drive - 2TB, Black

Product details
--------------------
Store all your family's important files on the huge 2 TB Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive cloud edition. Share your multimedia files throughout the home and access from any computer with this powerful and versatile hard drive.

Store and share through the home network

The Cloud Edition drive features Iomega's Personal Cloud technology that allows you to securely share your data through the Internet, ideal for remote collaboration, syncing, archiving and remote back-up.

Powerful, fast and offering a simple three-step set-up, the Home Media Network drive lets you effortlessly share files, photos, music, movies and more. It offers a built-in UPnP AV Media Server (DLNA certified) and iTunes Server so content can easily be shared between computers and other digital media such as game consoles, digital picture frames or networked TVs.

Backup functionality

You can backup all of your networked computers by downloading and installing the client backup software. Protect your files and enjoy the safe, secure and convenient storing.

The Iomega hard drive supports Apple Time Machine® so you can backup any Mac computers linked to the home media network.

With Cloud backup comes Cloud Disaster Recovery – make use of the home network drive in different locations and create your own recovery scheme.

Remote Access

With Remote Access you can connect from any computer in the world and enjoy full access to your multimedia content through the web browser.

You can also upload and share content directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ and other devices.

High performance

The Gigabit Ethernet connectivity is combined with a dual core processor for a high performance running.

The feature-rich Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive also offers digital photography tools, easy social media sharing and much more!

-----------
Do you think this would do the job? It mentions apple time machine so would any of this help with backing up or would it just be for streaming stuff to my iPad.
I do from time to time reorder my hard drive on a PC so I can preload it with content, but would I be able to back up my iPad to this drive or would it have to be the C: drive on the PC where it saves too?

Any help would be great please, I nearly bought this today but they were out of stock so il wait until currys get some more in.

Attachments

• image-3523500358.jpg
    image-3523500358.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 360

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time machine is the built-in backup software for OSX, not iOS.

For me, the way to see how serious they are about supporting iOS is if they have an app, if they do all you need to do is see if it provides all the functionality you need. GoodReader can be used to access NAS drives without their own app but may not give you all the functionality that you require.

The Archangel

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
BTW, if you visit Curry's online, the Iomega at 1TB is £20 more expensive than the WD.

The Archangel

Yes I went in today even stranger is the 2TB is £30 cheaper than the 1tb when it's the same bit of kit? And a further £20 off online on there big sale promo that's on til Monday. I seen the WD one and seems a solid choice but I just had a WD hard drive previously and it bust after a year..... However I did buy it from eBay. There all around the same price give or take £20 so I'm not too bothered I just want this one to last longer than a year and be a little future proof if possible.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
therealriley said:
Yes I went in today even stranger is the 2TB is £30 cheaper than the 1tb when it's the same bit of kit? And a further £20 off online on there big sale promo that's on til Monday. I seen the WD one and seems a solid choice but I just had a WD hard drive previously and it bust after a year..... However I did buy it from eBay. There all around the same price give or take £20 so I'm not too bothered I just want this one to last longer than a year and be a little future proof if possible.

I've been using WD drives for years, never had one fail on me but it's like anything, these things do happen......even the odd BMW car will break down in it's first year of use.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts