What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for noob required

Twowit2woo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Never jailbroken an iPad before so decided to give it a go. All went absolutely fine, the evasion app said "done" then the ipad rebooted - and now that's where it's stuck. It just keeps on rebooting perpetually, won't break out of it.

I tried:
a) holding the power button to switch it off, waited a bit then powered on again
b) holding both buttons (hard reset?)
c) hard reset followed by holding the volume up button.

Nothing will break it out of this loop.

Is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks in advance.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That most likely means that your device was OTA updated. And since none of the current iPads are susceptible to LimeRa1n, you cannot kick the device out of Recovery Mode by force fixing the boot chain. Your only option for a working device at this point is to restore in DFU mode.

OP
T

Twowit2woo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And to refresh your memory (or in case you don't know), here's how to put your iPad into DFU mode: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

Sorry for the necessity.

Marilyn

It's not a problem. I'm game :)

I followed the excellent instructions on DFU and iTunes comes up with a message "iTunes must check the iPad software update server to identify this device" I let it do it (as the only other option was to cancel) and it said "it is in recovery mode" - so far so good

Then it had an option on the screen that said "iPad recovery mode" and a button that said "restore ipad"

so i hit that but then it says "automatically checking for itunes and ipad updates is disabled. would you like to check for a new ipad software update"

Now all I can do here is to hit the "check" button (or cancel) ... but I'm a bit loathed to as it suggests that it's going to update the firmware?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a problem. I'm game :)

I followed the excellent instructions on DFU and iTunes comes up with a message "iTunes must check the iPad software update server to identify this device" I let it do it (as the only other option was to cancel) and it said "it is in recovery mode" - so far so good

Then it had an option on the screen that said "iPad recovery mode" and a button that said "restore ipad"

so i hit that but then it says "automatically checking for itunes and ipad updates is disabled. would you like to check for a new ipad software update"

Now all I can do here is to hit the "check" button (or cancel) ... but I'm a bit loathed to as it suggests that it's going to update the firmware?

Unfortunately, that's all you can do - restore the iPad to the newest iOS. Which, in this case, is iOS 7.1.1 and is not jailbreakable.

Once you try an evasi0n jail break and it fails (whether it 's because your device is thrown into a boot loop or it fails for any other reason) - your only option [to get a working iPad] is to restore.

Essentially, there is no need to stay at the iOS version you were at since the evasi0n tool failed. The iPad can't be jail broken at its current iOS - so you might as well go ahead and restore the iPad. That way, you can take full advantage of the iOS updates and be on the most current firmware.

Yes, checking for new firmware and then accepting iTunes's prompt to restore to the most current iOS will update the firmware to iOS 7.1.1. But, that's all you can do. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
T

Twowit2woo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's all you can do

Ouch! That's two devices I've got on the latest ios now :-(

The inference was that DFU mode would at least give me the opportunity to continue with the Jailbreak.

Guess I'll just have to sit tight and wait until something in the scene changes.

Appreciate all the help I've had. :)

Most reactions