What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hdmi in ipad

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Further issue. Using the cable to mirror yesterday I had an issue I did not have earlier, pre iOS8. I was giving a keynote talk on why you might want an iPad I then demoed some apps mirrored on the tv. When I demoed the camera and then tried to show the photo I took and also when I used Red Ladder to scan a bar code and see the results the monitor display froze. The iPad display is fine. I have to unplug the cable put the iPad to sleep replug the cable wake up the iPad to continue. The joy of iOS 8?. Others have this with cable or with the Wi-Fi connection to the tv?.
Not with the lightning connector cable, but we used the 30 pin connector cable to connect iPad 2 and 3 to the TV. After some time, the TV started freezing or lost the connection to the iPad from time to time. We found out that the cable was damaged somewhere inside.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The newest updates to iOS and AppleTV are supposed to allow a peer-to-peer connection, one that does not require that both devices be on the same wi-fi network. But you probably need one of the newer iPads to take advantage of that: iPad Air or newer.

Do yu have a link for this as having a hard time finding it. I must admit it was 3:30 am in morning my time. Lol

I did find this however after drinking 2 cups of coffee

Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback.
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organisation’s network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you’re offline or the organisation has a complex network.

A faster way for friends to wirelessly connect to your Apple TV.
Peer-to-peer AirPlay lets visitors to your home or office quickly and easily connect their Mac or iOS device to your Apple TV without gaining passwords and connecting to the Wi-Fi network. Apple TV detects their device and makes the connection. So they can show off photos, share documents, stream movies, or play music right on your TV. Simple as that.

Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires a Mac device (2012 or later) running OS X 10.10 or an iOS device (2012 or later) running iOS 8 and an Apple TV third-generation rev A (model A1469) running Apple TV software 7.0.

Look for model number on bottom of the Apple TV

Hope that helps

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just remembered it being mentioned on several blogs and podcasts; but a quick search turned up this page which mentions the peer-to-peer feature, and provides a link that tells you how to find out if your Apple TV is supported.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4437

I can't do more than that, since I don't have an Apple TV. I'd kind of like one, but since I don't have a TV, it would be useless. Though, I do, sometimes, think about a small projector; but not this year, unless Santa Clause has misplaced his naughty list. :rolleyes:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet
Thank link redirects to an Apple site that says:
Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network

So wifi is needed it seems as discussed above

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only part we are discussing is peer to peer which does not require a wifi network. The Apple TV acts as a hotspot type connection for the iPads and or iPhones providing wifi and Bluetooth is turned on.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm totally confused , earlier I thought you said I need airport express to provide the link between the Apple TV and iPad. Now I think you are telling me I can connect Ipad (ios8) DIRECTLY to Apple TV without any wifi intermediary.

So can I, with no wifi anywhere around, connect my iPad to an Apple TV for screen mirroring? I sure don't see anything on the web that says that. See previous post.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
See this part of twerppoet's post:
image.jpg

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JA. I DID SEE that. I also saw this from col.bris:

You need the Apple TV connected to TV via HDMI cable. The airport xpress creates a closed wifi net work that the iPad can connect to using wifi and air play.

What was stated is newer iPads now can connect direct to the latest Apple TV there for not have to use airport xpress. This is a direct result of the latest iOS upgrade. I personally have not tested this method.

And the earlier link to Apple given above that said you DO need wifi. AS DOES THAT QUOTE you gave, last line. I know Air Drop needs wifi and Bluetooth even though it is peer to peer.

Which is why I'm confused. Is there an Apple link that says no wifi needed? Perhaps I go to Best Buy get one try it and then return if not work.

Sorry to be so dense

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first part still applies on older iPads and older Apple TV. Twerppoet made me aware of a new feature regarding peer to peer AirPlay which does not require a wifi net work as peer to peer is between the device and the latest Apple TV With the latest upgrade The link you received is for Apple TV for ALL uses and if you scroll down it discusses peer to peer. The only thing required is wifi and Bluetooth must be turned on on the iPad for it to be found by Apple TV. What you cannot do with peer to peer is connect to the Internet if you have a wifi only iPad it can be used to mirror what is on the iPad with audio. What I should have done is edited my post so to make it easier to understand for that I apologize Hope this clears it up. Problem we have on this industry sometimes no one is aware of new changes and prior to the latest iOS upgrade we had to use the other method.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
".... if you scroll down it discusses peer to peer. The only thing required is wifi and Bluetooth must be turned on on the iPad for it to be found by Apple TV. What you cannot do with peer to peer is connect to the Internet "

Here's why I'm confused. You tell me I DO NEED wifi for peer to peer. Which is what I said way back. You cannot not connect to a CAPTIVE NETWORK with Apple TV as it has no browser to let you log in, which is why I have to use a cable to the monitor.

The idea of Apple Extreme as a non captive wifi network would work but it seems otherwise it would not. This then requires: iPad, Air Extreme and Apple TV.

Or???

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The purpose of peer to peer is to mirror your iPad nothing more all you see on your TV is what you have on your iPad. AirPlay on the iPad connects to the Apple TV which is connected to your TV via HDMI It is more reliable to use in presentations The Apple TV with the latest iOS installed acts as a ad-hoc wifi hotspot without connecting to a full wifi network I have now tested it and it works great
Here is a link to a site that shows images and explains how it works.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2014/09/25/peer-to-peer-airplay-on-apple-tv-3/#.VHD1cCbXeJI

Please note : Link approved by admin for demo purposes

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Understand about mirroring.

So you only need: a tv, an new Apple TV, and a new iPad with ioa8. No wifi router. So you can toss that AirPort Extreme?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes so not to confuse the issue older versions of the Apple TV and earlier iPads will not work direct. I have 3 apple TV'. I have been using apple wifi airport xpress plus the older Apple TV for presentations

In your case yes you donot need apple airport xpress Be aware you will need to upgrade both the Apple TV and your iPad to the latest iOS for this to work.

You will need HDMI cable from Apple TV to the TV. Make sure you turn on the Apple TV first Cheers colin

Most reactions

Latest posts