What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI/VGA Display-Apps On First Gen iPad (No Jailbreak).

iUltranet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More Apps for You

Did you get your iPad 2 yet? Anyway, if you haven't, these are more apps that work on HD TV with iPad1 and the HDMI adapter:

AV Player - reads all kinds of movie files, even .avi with subtitles, rmvb and mkv.

pdf Notes - write on your pdf file and it will be mirrored on the screen.

MathBoard-Addition - Displays Maths sums and your answer on the screen.

dtdnumwizlite - Displays joining of dots (to make a picture) and says the number out loud.

Movie Trailers - Shows movie trailers on your HD TV.

ABC iView - (only in Australia?) Watch ABC news and other ABC shows on your HD TV.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iUltranet said:
Did you get your iPad 2 yet? Anyway, if you haven't, these are more apps that work on HD TV with iPad1 and the HDMI adapter:

AV Player - reads all kinds of movie files, even .avi with subtitles, rmvb and mkv.

pdf Notes - write on your pdf file and it will be mirrored on the screen.

MathBoard-Addition - Displays Maths sums and your answer on the screen.

dtdnumwizlite - Displays joining of dots (to make a picture) and says the number out loud.

Movie Trailers - Shows movie trailers on your HD TV.

ABC iView - (only in Australia?) Watch ABC news and other ABC shows on your HD TV.

Yes I did. Still have the original iPad.

Thank you for the additional info. I'll update the list accordingly. I'd like to know from you if they mirror or just display out.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

iUltranet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for adding my apps to your list. Only dottodot number whiz lite (btw that's the full name .... whoopsies) looks like a mirror. The rest are display outs.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Devang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Came across this site doing a google search for iPad hdmi out apps.

Have first gen iPad and use Buzz Player and air video on hdmi.

Need to find some app that would let me control the iPad app using iPhone.

It's a pain pausing rewinding muting etc as have to get up and go near the tv to do that right now. Positive side is that I lost some weight, but don't need to as am within my BMI. ;-)

If you could help with my search for an app that would stream movies from home server and allow me to control it remotely, it would be great. Apple Tv not an option in india.

Regards,
Devang

P.S.: can't jailbreak phone or the pad since use it in corporate environment.

Last edited:

agantacroxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
StarWalk: not working?

Hi, this is my first post on forum :)

Well, yesterday I bought Star Walk for iPad, I loved it, and I wanted to show some astronomical highlights to my family. I connected my first gen. iPad to an old TV trough an Apple composite cable (you know, from dock to yellow video, red audio right and white audio left). It didn't work...:confused:
Does someone have Star Walk? Please help me! :)

Thanks!
Agantacroxi

rosewater84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 1st gen Ipad has never worked with a projector. I upgraded it to OS 5 and it still won't work, and I tried the programs suggested. Just a black screen. It acts like there is a signal, but no picture. can anyone help me with this?

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
avegutierrez said:
I didn´t see on the list 2Screens, allow you out VGA output PPT, PDFs and webpages

Added. Thanks.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rosewater84 said:
My 1st gen Ipad has never worked with a projector. I upgraded it to OS 5 and it still won't work, and I tried the programs suggested. Just a black screen. It acts like there is a signal, but no picture. can anyone help me with this?

Have you tried with a different projector? Have you tried output to TV by any connection? That's to ensure it at least has output at all. Also try another adapter. It's ll a matter of process by elimination. And of course, you have to use an app that is capable of output in the first place, like Amy from the above list. Sorry, I can't be of much more help here.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
agantacroxi said:
Hi, this is my first post on forum :)

Well, yesterday I bought Star Walk for iPad, I loved it, and I wanted to show some astronomical highlights to my family. I connected my first gen. iPad to an old TV trough an Apple composite cable (you know, from dock to yellow video, red audio right and white audio left). It didn't work...:confused:
Does someone have Star Walk? Please help me! :)

Thanks!
Agantacroxi

Did you get it to work since your post? If so, please let everyone here know what the problem and solution were.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Devang said:
Hello,

Came across this site doing a google search for iPad hdmi out apps.

Have first gen iPad and use Buzz Player and air video on hdmi.

Need to find some app that would let me control the iPad app using iPhone.

It's a pain pausing rewinding muting etc as have to get up and go near the tv to do that right now. Positive side is that I lost some weight, but don't need to as am within my BMI. ;-)

If you could help with my search for an app that would stream movies from home server and allow me to control it remotely, it would be great. Apple Tv not an option in india.

Regards,
Devang

P.S.: can't jailbreak phone or the pad since use it in corporate environment.

Not sure what to say about an app that allows you to control an iPad with an iPhone, as this thread is dedicated to identifying apps that will display out to an external display from the first gen iPad.

robandjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do Cheaper HDMI Cables Work?

I wondered if Apple did something sneaky that only allows their HDMI/VGA cables to work. Also about the apps that work with HDMI (e.g Netflix), do they fill the HDTV screen or leave vertical or horixontal black bands. I may be acquiring a ipad 1 3G and since I love Netflix would want to interface it to a HDTV in a motorhome. It sounds like it should work well with no jailbreak required. I believe Netflix will work smoothly over 3G on ipad1, but wondered what ipad1 3G users have experienced. In other words, does Netflix via 3G for some reason (like speed) require ipad2 or above?

robandjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried Netflix with the hdmi apple cable and an ipod touch 4th generation. I might have been having a bad couple computer days (couldn't grt roku to connect to an ad hoc laptop network), but it didn't seem it was going to work. I've since read more about how this should work with a pad1 streaming Netflix. When the hdmi is connected to the adapter, ipad1, and hdtv you won't at first see anything on the tv and the ipad screen looks normal showing the Netflix movie list. Then when you select a movie and start playing it the ipad1 screen goes red showing the Netfix logo and the movie appears on the hdtv. Also the charging cable has to be plugged in for this to work, and it will work when the ipad1 is on wifi as well as 3g. Is this correct?

As a corollary to this, both my ipt4g and iphone3gs will connect to an ad hoc network I set up with a w7 laptop. This is a huge advantage for me because afaik android devices and kindles will not connect to ad hocs. Unfortunately this says that the quite interesting galaxy tab 7 plus will not connect, although many are trying to make it do so. Anyway the real question is does the ipad1 follow other apple products by being able to connect to ad hoc laptop networks?

Most reactions