1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

HDMI/VGA Display-Apps On First Gen iPad (No Jailbreak).

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Mtnmedic, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Here is a working list of applications that are KNOWN to work with the Original, First Generation iPad using the VGA and HDMI adapters. I will be updating this list in this first post as often as possible so that folks won't have to go through the entire thread to find the good stuff.

If you know of for sure or discover any apps that video/mirror out using the VGA adapter and-especially- via the new HDMI adapter from the original, First Generation iPad (NOT iPad 2) list 'em here! I'll try to update this list as frequently as possible so thread visitors can find all the goodies in one spot.

PLEASE- NO JAILBREAK STUFF. Not everyone is into jailbreaking. And please, no iPad 2 stuff. Everyone knows that the iPad 2 natively mirrors just about everything using the HDMI adapter. Thanks!

UPDATED 4/15/12. 9pm PST

Keynote - VGA and HDMI: mirror

Whiteboard VGA Out - VGA: display out

Study Aid -VGA: mirror

map projector - VGA: display out

Popplet - VGA: mirror

File Display - VGA: display out

cardiovascular System - VGA: display out

Netflix - HDMI: video out

MLB At-Bat -HDMI: video out

MacWorld app -VGA: mirror

Star Walk -VGA and HDMI: no mirror but entire app displayed on external display.

You Tube - VGA and HDMI: video out

Perfect Browser -VGA and HDMI: mirror Yes, a browser that DOES mirror!

Sketchbook Pro -VGA and HDMI: mirror

pics-slide show only VGA and HDMI

Penultimate -VGA and HDMI: mirror

NASA TV -VGA and HDMI: NASA TV video output only, the rest of the app doesn't display on external.

Laser Lights -HDMI mirror (haven't tried it with VGA yet) - totally cool!

Sky Safari -VGA and HDMI: mirror

Star map HD -VGA and HDMI: mirror

Atomic Browser -VGA only: mirror

TWiT Netcast Network - HDMI video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA

Live Cams HD. -HDMI: video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA

Moodboard -HDMI: app says external display is discovered and asks you to choose from 4 resolutions but doesn't display any of your moodboards. Does display a light blue screen with the word "External" only. Not sure what's up, there. Haven't tried it with VGA yet.

Note Taker HD -VGA: mirror

neu.Notes -VGA: mirror

neu.annotate -VGA: mirror

GoodReader -VGA: mirror (possibly HDMI)

AV Player - reads all kinds of movie files, even .avi with subtitles, rmvb and mkv. - HDMI

pdf Notes - write on your pdf file and it will be mirrored on the screen. -HDMI

MathBoard-Addition - Displays Math sums and your answer on the screen.- HDMI

dtdnumwizlite - Displays joining of dots (to make a picture) and says the number out loud. -HDMI

Movie Trailers - Shows movie trailers on your HD TV.- HDMI

ABC iView - (only in Australia?) Watch ABC news and other ABC shows on your HD TV.-HDMI

2Screens - VGA output PPT, PDFs and webpages

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hey Michael, That's wonderful news that iPad 1 will mirror on some apps with VGA. Would you check if any iBooks will mirror, or separate magazine apps such as Macworld or Esquire.

thanks
  3. gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    MLB At-Bat and Netflix both do video out with HDMI. I don't have a VGA adapter so I don't know about that.
  4. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I know the Macworld app does.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  5. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    If u jailbreak and get displayout app from Cydia, "All" apps will mirror no matter which connection you use ;-) love it
  6. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yeah, I know. But jailbreaking isn't something I'm into and I wanted to make a list of apps for folks who feel the same way about jail breaking. I personally won't have a worry or care in the world about mirroring out via HDMI once my iPad 2 gets here in a couple of weeks. But I thought it'd be nice to have a list of apps for those who stick with iPad 1 and a VGA/HDMI adapter.

7. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks. This list is a great help.
  8. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    have you used the new HDMI connector?? please say yes? :)
  9. Markdf

Markdf iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does the native Video player mirror over HDMI for the ipad 1?
  10. Marabou Muddler

Marabou Muddler iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This list is great! Perhaps a forum moderator can make this thread a "sticky?"
  11. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Actually, I haven't but assumed it will work the same with display out. I'm sure a lot of jail broken iPad owners would love to know. All I have is the composite cables as i still have an older projection 50-60 somEthing In. Big screen :-( lol no hdmi plugs on it. Plan to get new l.e.d or plasma screen soon though.
  12. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. However...

I'd like for this to be a "for sure" thread. Little to no guesses, if possible. That's why I suggested in my original post that if you KNOW of apps that will video out or mirror using the First Gen iPad and VGA or HDMI adapter, to mention them here.

And preferably without jail breaking. Because it's generally understood you can do a LOT more with a jail broken device or with an iPad 2, and the vast majority of folks have neither, I was hoping this thread will become a resource for the rest of us who have "ordinary" First Gen iPads using the adapters. I'd hate to have folks who are new to iPads, particularly First Gen, to read this thread, excited about what they could do with their iPad, only to discover a lot of jail breaking discussion, which may turn them off from checking back in to see if more apps made the list. Not everyone is into jail breaking, even if there are benefits to be had, because people aren't so inclined, they don't want to take the time or they want a zero-trouble, zero-risk experience with their iPad.

Maybe a separate thread for Jailbroken iPads would suffice?

I will talk to the mods about changing the thread title to say "not jail broken". I also want to see if I can maintain an ongoing list with update dates in the first post, that way folks won't be forced to read through the whole thread to find the goodies, and keep the rest of the thread open for input and discussion.

13. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Let me check into that and get back to you.

14. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Many of the items mentioned by the OP can be displayed through HDMI with AirPlay and AppleTV. Netflix, MLB, YouTube, pictures, video, films and Internet TV, just to name a few...
  15. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yep. But this is purely about just the iPad and the adapters. As simple as it gets. Mostly for newbies and people looking to try some video out/mirroring with those adapters. AirPlay and AppleTV still requires a little networking configuration or setting up that goes beyond ordinary cable-out, which may either be of no interest or overwhelming to folks who just want to cable-out their apps.

16. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I agree but to me being wireless beats wires every time. Will you be getting the Hdmi out for your iPad 2? Will you still have the iPad 1 then? I think you guessed my next question...;)
  17. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I totally agree with you that wireless beats wired every time and I take advantage of it.

Actually, YES, in answer to both of your questions.

Not every building or house I go to with my iPad has Wfi-Fi. Especially in places where I tend to give presentations. I live in a rural community in the mountains. We're not all wireless like folks in the city.

Besides, this thread is about First Generation iPad using the adapters, not iPad 2. Or jaiilbreaking to achieve the desired results. My original post and the thread headline state that.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  18. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good, then you can answer my third question. Will you be trying the Hdmi dongle with iPad 1?

I for one am against jail breaking and would never resort to it. I'd rather rack my brain to find a legit solution or go without satisfaction.

Anyway I'm quite sure that iPad 1 will not handle the Hdmi dongle because it may require stronger graphic capabilities it doesn't have but I'm okay with that... Until MacTablet!
  19. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Ok, ok..lol. No need to change title. We will eventually see all these same people coming into hacking section at one point or another in the lifetime of ownership of their iPad. Sheesh, people have some wrong stigma associated with jail braking. I hear/read of more problems/issues with non jail broken devices thn jail broken ones. Point taken though. We know us jail breakers are the outcasts of the community..don't hate..lol just kidding. I'll check my apps to see which ones allow display out as I have about 200 apps. I get what you saying. Less confusion for the noobs ;-)
  20. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Uh, that's what I've been doing...using the HDMI dongle with the iPad 1. My iPad 2 isn't even here and won't be here until the first week of April. I'm doing this little thread "project" as a service to owners of the iPad 1 who might want to explore cable-out options, like using the VGA adapter and the HDMI adapter.

I'm happy to say the HDMI adapter works nicely with the iPad 1. Of course, much in the same was as the VGA adapter works: only specific apps which have been coded to output their video stream or mirror out to an external display.