What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hdmi in ipad

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi I have used an ipad 2 for almost three years and now got a mac pro recently. Gave my ipad to my mother. Now IM considering a new ipad air 2. One thing I want to know is, its there any way to connect it to hdmi cable and project the screen.i have to make many presentations and now with touch optimized office it will be a productivity beast. But I want to know if I will be able to use a hdmi cable with some adapter accessory.i know a vga projector cable is available... But its hdmi connection possible to make a presentation...
Sent from my NOKIA 1520 using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple sells a Lightning to HDMI connector, which also has a lightning connector so you can keep your iPad charged while the HDMI cable is plugged in. This adaptor isn't cheap, it costs $55.00, more than half the cost of an Apple TV, which would let you wirelessly stream content from your iPad to the video projector. The Apple TV costs $99.00.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: A.K

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use this set up routinely in my iPad classes. Works fine.. FYI the Apple TV won't work for me because the wifi is a "captive network" and the Apple TV has no browser to allow you to sign in.

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks
Sent from my NOKIA 1520 using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use this set up routinely in my iPad classes. Works fine.. FYI the Apple TV won't work for me because the wifi is a "captive network" and the Apple TV has no browser to allow you to sign in.

The newest updates to iOS and AppleTV are supposed to allow a peer-to-peer connection, one that does not require that both devices be on the same wi-fi network. But you probably need one of the newer iPads to take advantage of that: iPad Air or newer.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting, I have an Air 2 so might work. Should check it out.

Googling indicates still need both items on same network.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy a airport xpress works fine for mobile presentations. It creates its own personal wifi network Far far better than direct HDMI connection. This is assuming you do not need to access the Internet during a presentation

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The newest updates to iOS and AppleTV are supposed to allow a peer-to-peer connection, one that does not require that both devices be on the same wi-fi network. But you probably need one of the newer iPads to take advantage of that: iPad Air or newer.
It works with iPad 3 and later, and iPad mini.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need the Apple TV connected to TV via HDMI cable. The airport xpress creates a closed wifi net work that the iPad can connect to using wifi and air play.

What was stated is newer iPads now can connect direct to the latest Apple TV there for not have to use airport xpress. This is a direct result of the latest iOS upgrade. I personally have not tested this method.

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So airport creates a Wi-Fi net but is not connected to a modern. It works as a local Wi-Fi that way but without internet access. Clever!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. This is becoming more common Some Printers now offer wifi hot spots. Hard drives, digital cameras USB sticks are just a few that also offer same set up.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Australia our Apple reps use this method to train staff in dealers. I have used the same for client presentations. You do however need a HDMI capable monitor or TV.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Further issue. Using the cable to mirror yesterday I had an issue I did not have earlier, pre iOS8. I was giving a keynote talk on why you might want an iPad I then demoed some apps mirrored on the tv. When I demoed the camera and then tried to show the photo I took and also when I used Red Ladder to scan a bar code and see the results the monitor display froze. The iPad display is fine. I have to unplug the cable put the iPad to sleep replug the cable wake up the iPad to continue. The joy of iOS 8?. Others have this with cable or with the Wi-Fi connection to the tv?.

Most reactions