1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

GQ Sells Just 365 iPad Apps of Men of the Year Issue

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, May 19, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2
    [​IMG]

A somewhat surprising story this from the Guardian today, detailing the fact that GQ publisher Pete Hunsinger has announced that GQ’s “Men of the Year†edition, published in December, sold just 365 copies in its iPad format, making a total of $1,091.35 in sales at $2.99 each.
    “This costs us nothing extra: no printing or postage,†Hunsinger told MinOnline who covered the story. “Everything is profit, and I look forward to the time when iPad issue sales become a major component to our circulation.â€

Although Hunsinger’s remarks are unsurprisingly upbeat, the Guardian says that it’s discouraging that Conde Naste’s app sales have started so slowly, especially as Conde Naste has been a very vocal supporter of the iPad.

It is, however, very early days to be considering what this might mean for magazine sales on the iPad in general. As the Guardian points out, Conde Naste’s iPad and iPhone app sales are picking up, and with the recent launch of the Vanity Fair iPad app and the forthcoming launch of the Wired app, sales are likely to start climbing even higher.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
    Source: Guardian.co.uk
  2. write-stuff

write-stuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm guessing a different magazine might do better. GQ??? Who reads that?
  3. Bluenik25

Bluenik25 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe if they would get with the program and offer a yearly subscription for the same price as the magazine subscription they could make some money. I for one will not buy any magazine on the iPad that cost more than it does at the yearly subscription price.

He said it himself, it doesn't cost them anything!!
  4. Finnedog

Finnedog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Give it away for a year, if people like it they will pay for it.
  5. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Like he admits, it cost them nothing...... So logic dictates it should be cheaper. Of course I would not get it, even if it were free.... I'm not a metrosexual kind of guy....plus I sure have no interest in who they think is "man of the year".
  6. Bluenik25

Bluenik25 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just to clarify my comments are referring to all periodical sales on the iPad and not GQ.
  7. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And I agree with you. Like the GQ guy said, it cost them nothing... I do not subscribe to any paper magazines, but would be interested in a subscription on the iPad to a few.... But will not until the pricing model is realistic.
  8. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I read GQ. I like the fashion, tech, health and girls. I think the problem is, after reading the reviews is that the production costs are really zero. People say it works just like a PDF. Boring! If people want to charge money for an iPad magazine, it HAS to be cool.
  9. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    GQ is an excellent magazine. I've had a subscription for some time. I can understand if you are a leper who doesn't care about fashion I guess. What magazine would you prefer they look into?
  10. rowan

rowan iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LQ (Leper's Quarterly)
  11. Krew

Krew iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lets see. they admit there's no cost 2 them and its all profit. but they charge more then the real magazine which *does* have a cost 2 produce. then if u read the reviews of the app, its doesn't do a great job and its awkward and has glitches (supposedly). And there probably scratching there head wondering why they only sold 365 or whatever. :rolleyes:
  12. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could not have said it better myself!!
  13. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    A fashion boy with an attitude! Lol .... It is funny though.....
  14. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    For such a trendy magazine with great content, they have to remember one thing: any idiot can download a PDF of GQ off the internet. If they want to sell it, it has to have the "cool" factor the iPad, and frankly that GQ magazine is come to be known for.
  15. GrendelPrime

GrendelPrime iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually 57,000 copies.
    SOURCE
  16. Solitar6y

Solitar6y iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lot's of people do, as evidenced by the few on here who mentioned they do. I live in NYC, and while I do like to be fashion forward, the magazine has some surprisingly deep (and sometimes funny) editorial opinions on politics, world events, and people.

I couldn't agree more. While its nice to see that they made money without incurring any additional overhead, any pdf port of a magazine will ultimately lose out. 2.99 seems like too much to charge for an e-copy of a magazine with no added value aside from convenience. I'm an avid GQ subsriber. make it engaging, and make it interactive, and they'll have my subscription for sure.