What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally a standard Micro USB connector for Ipad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice. The only reason Apple introduced it is because the EU is forcing the standardization of chargers, I read. They're selling it only in Europe so far.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it's not going to really help the iPad because a standard USB port simply won't charge the iPad as quickly as the dedicated iPad charger.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it's not going to really help the iPad because a standard USB port simply won't charge the iPad as quickly as the dedicated iPad charger.

Tim

Yes, I saw it sold as an iPhone accessory, rather than as an iPad one. But some people seem willing to put up with a slow charge. Not me. I want the fastest charger available.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here! I have chargers all over my house - plus one for the car with a mains inverter so I can get the full 2.1A charge if I'm in the car for a long time. I'm paranoid; I get nervous when my iPad battery drops below 80%!!!!! And I always check, when I'm going on a long haul flight, that the seats have power outlets!

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here! I have chargers all over my house - plus one for the car with a mains inverter so I can get the full 2.1A charge if I'm in the car for a long time. I'm paranoid; I get nervous when my iPad battery drops below 80%!!!!! And I always check, when I'm going on a long haul flight, that the seats have power outlets!

Tim

Good to know I'm not alone in this particular obsession.;)

zs2005zs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:

If your question was expecting an answer and not just venting, then consider this:
Quality vs quantity.
Quality vs speed.

Now ask, what would you rather have if you can only have but not both?

Well, who said we cannot have it both ways?
That is why I use IBM compatible PCs (for speed and diversity)
And Macs for everything else ;)

My vote of confidence is in Apple's dedication for quality. So let them take their time to ensure the quality and reliability because if those folks won't the. Who will?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great minds think alike...

Tim

Meet my collection of chargers, lol. I have chargers all over my homes, in my cars and at work.

I'm less worried about iPad battery life since I got an iPad 2 to go with my iPad 1. At least one is always charged.

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought extra chargers too. MY concern and this is one of the things that steered me away from Apple products in the past was their use of built in batteries.

I worry just like PC batteries that 10 hours of life now will quickly drop with age. Most of my PC laptop batteries hold like a 20 minute charge after a couple of years. If you replace them with a knock off cheap battery they last only 6 months. The OEM battery usually runs $125 to 150 and buy that time those batteries have been deteriorating on the shelf for years.

Luckily for me, I would probably upgrade to the next latest and greatest before the ipad battery only gives me like 6 hours, but if I give it to my Daughter I'll probably have to have Apple replace her battery.

Seems to me the ipad 1 and 2 are still too new to assess how long these batteries are going to hold 10 hours. Thus my mental need to always keep a few chargers and car adapters close by.

Being that there are no moving parts hopefully we can continue to see 10 hours but since I tend to use it a lot, I'm constantly pulling the battery down to around 20%. That can't be good for it's life and I expect to start to see a drop off from the 10 hours.

How much does Apple charge to replace the battery anyway?

I always hated to keep replacing the ipod batteries at Apple for like $60 and then finally went for the Apple care plan for $60 with a free battery replacement. But of course after I bought two plans they extended the battery life with each new model because they were designed to run the same on less power. I sprang for the $60 for each ipod plan and never used the free battery replacement . . go figure!

Hopefully the same will happen with each new ipad model.

Last edited:

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I get nervous when my iPad battery drops below 80%!!!!!

Tim

Same here but I'm also worried about ruining my battery by not letting it discharge enough. Is there any merit in that?

Cheers

OKNightOwl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read that you should let the Battery fully discharge at least once a Month, this is from Apple. Another source says that the ion batteries are much better and just use and charge as you see necessary.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read that you should let the Battery fully discharge at least once a Month, this is from Apple. Another source says that the ion batteries are much better and just use and charge as you see necessary.

Running down the battery once a month is supposed to help keep the battery indicator accurate.

Most reactions

Latest posts