What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 mini USB charging

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More and more insiders are saying that the next iPad will have USB. More than likly micro-USB. While thinner form, camera/video conferencing, and 3-axis gyroscopes are almost certainties, most Apple followers doubted the departure from the proprietary iPod charger connection. However, the European requirement that all mobile devices must use a single charging standard is apparently deciding things for Apple. If that is the case, then expect the next generations of iPhones to use micro-USB also.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More and more insiders are saying that the next iPad will have...

There is only one Apple insider who know what features the next generation iPad will have.... any he's not talking!

steve-jobs.jpg

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm seriously not buying this standard USB rumor because:

A) It is an iDevice...they all use the same connector and I'm pretty sure they all will continue to.

B) You can convert said input to a usb input with a simple dongle.

C) There aren't any drivers on iOS to accommodate most usb peripherals!

I am taking this rumor about as seriously as the 7" rumor.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a lot of information that gets leaked from the factories that are involved in the construction of the devices. Also do not forget that Apple was one of the signatories to the original proposal to adopt the micro-USB as the standard. To me, it is just a guessing game to try and figure out what will happen. I favor the micro-USB port addition, but question if that will be adequate for all functions. It would not be the first time that pple has abandoned a proprietary format because the world decided not to go along. If Jobs decided it would be better for Apple, they will drop the iPod connector.

On a side note, with the move by the Chinese and Europe to adopt the standard, most feel that America will make it unanimous. Some manufacturers are making wall socket kits to plug a USB to micro USB charging cable directy into the wall socket. Some hotels are already installing them. Homeowners will be allowed to convert existing sockets or add them to their homes.

Most reactions