What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expand your iPad memory by adding a wireless portable drive

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the past week I have had many users here in Australia ask me how do we add external portable storage to iOS devices. Products like Airstash 11, Seagate Wireless plus, Kingston WIFI drive, Macally WIFI enclosure and iUSB Port are just a few of the new exciting products that allow several users share music, movies, pictures and documents via battery operated wifi drives.. We have many threads on this subject which will be moved here so we can offer a one stop shop for users.

In my research I was amazed of how many different types of products existed. Some like the Airstash have been around for some time while others are just coming to the market.
One example is you may be on a driving holiday with children in your car or van each with an iPad. By adding one of the storage units one can stream different movies from say a 500gb Kingston wifi drive all at the same time for up to 7 hours. Keep in mind each device is rechargeable just like your iPad. This is real cool stuff and the good news it can only get better. One area I have been researching is the ability to transfer photos from a digital camera and upload them on to these devices so one can view and edit the images on the move. Much I have mention several brands in this post I should point out one really needs to read reviews and clearly understand how these products work. Some allow export and import from the iPad, iPod or iPhone and other do not. Many also offer wifi bypass which means one can surf the net on a standard wifi connection while streaming music or a movie at the same time.

Photo from Seagate.com. Seagate wireless plus
image.jpg

The best part is each one of the above are wireless direct with built in wireless hot spot.

Please be free to ask questions as several of our moderator team are users. Most of all please provide us with your personal experience with the drives as it will assist any user deciding which product suits them.

Happy streaming.:)

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So which ones allow upload and download. Streaming is nice but not of what I think of when I think hard drive?

Coop

OP
col.bris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The seagate allows you to copy files both directions using the ipad seagate app. it is ideal for transfering photos from he ipad for back up hope that helps.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the seagate wireless plus and happy to own one. My family can connect wirelessly, watch movies and listen to music separately with their own iOS.

lsceccato

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The seagate allows you to copy files both directions using the ipad seagate app. it is ideal for transfering photos from he ipad for back up hope that helps.
I've been looking at ways to edit photos/videos on the ipad after importing them from my SLR using the camera connection kit when travelling overseas. Problem is I haven't found a way of exporting the files back to a hard drive. It sounds like the Seagate Wirless Plus or similar would solve that issue. Is that correct?

Most reactions

Latest posts