What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Portable Harddrive???

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am one of the people trying to solve the issue of manipulating space on iPads. I wonder if there are truly commendable Portable HD's, which you can access via wi-fi and if iPad would recognize it as a storage bin. Would it need an app to work through. If it would be "press-n-play." I'm not much of a techno, under the bevel person, but I have an imagination. I just may not have the jargon.

As many of you know, Seagate bought the prized externalists Maxtor and has since integrated Maxtor's functionality with Seagate's appeal. They have Flex Drive which work over "Net Media" or something, but they seem to be working harder on making things smaller and fit the HDTV and HD entertainment lifestyle.

Do you think they can make a drive readable by other portable devices?

Am I dreaming?

Is it a good idea or flawed? (I know it's marketable. Much better than 20 SD cards and low-powered CCKs)

What are your thoughts? Have you come across any other companies?

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on how much stuff you want to carry around with you.

There used to be 2.5" wifi nas drives with internal batteries, but the cases are not easy to come by. It was long enough ago they used PATA drives. If you could find one, you could use an app to access a share on the drive.

There are oddball wifi nas adapters, like the CDS530AM, that would let you plug in your regular USB drive, but you'd need power and they aren't exactly a stock item at best buy.

Or you might be able to dig up a WL-HDD, again though you need power. Not really portable, just transportable.

If money is no object, get an OQO v2 and a USB hard drive.

Short of that there is the airstash, but its only SD. If you don't mind keeping everything on 32gig SD cards it might be the way to go.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Charging a portable drive while traveling

One consideration is battery life. Is the battery life of a portable drive the same as that of an iPad?

Does the portable drive come with a jack lead which can be plugged into the accessory power point in a motor vehicle?

Just commenting :)

Most reactions

Latest posts