What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many people would buy a Seagate wireless hard drive for their iDevice?

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been researching external storage options for my iPad 3, and i ran across an ad for the Wireless Plus, which has a storage capacity of 1 terabyte, and can be accessed by the iPad with the accompanying app which is free in the app store. However, since this is a relatively new innovation, the cost factors in at around $200 USD. How many would buy this for their device?

As an added note, USB 3.0 connectivity is included for those that use PCs to transfer media, so there is not the limitation of being confined to using iTunes since the app uses your device's wireless connection to read the data on the drive. MODERATED: No external links!!!!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a reasonable price since it has storage, plus wifi and USB 3.0. I have a similar device called the gauntlet node. It is an enclosure that you can put your own 2.5 inch drive into.

InkyMyCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at buying a sea gate drive a while back for my iPad. I was hoping more companies would sell something like this besides debate. I was looking at tigerdirect.com as they had some good prices. I will hold back until my bills are paid first

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever use a Seagate, simply because you've been pushing them so hard; this must be the 4th or 5th post advertising them, where the mods have had to remove a link to where (I suspect) the OP is selling them.

OP
S

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
I don't think I'd ever use a Seagate, simply because you've been pushing them so hard; this must be the 4th or 5th post advertising them, where the mods have had to remove a link to where (I suspect) the OP is selling them.

Interesting that you would automatically go to the assumption that I must be selling them because I am "pushing them so hard" as you say.

Fact of the matter is, I am not now, nor have I ever been a Seagate salesman, or any other type of sales person, for that matter. The fact that I included a link that was removed was due to my ignorance about the rules of this forum, even though the app includes a function to insert links (which I find a bit odd)

The link I included was to the Seagate website where one could check out the specs for themselves.

Furthermore, I don't even own one yet, as I'm waiting for them to come down in price before I buy one, but it's definitely on my wish list.

Post edited by administrator col.bris

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, to return to the discussion at hand, I can only think of one reason for not buying Seagate, and that's if any equivalent from Western Digital was a bit cheaper.

Both companies make decent products and I wouldn't look past them for alternatives.

OP
S

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Well, to return to the discussion at hand, I can only think of one reason for not buying Seagate, and that's if any equivalent from Western Digital was a bit cheaper.

Both companies make decent products and I wouldn't look past them for alternatives.

As a system builder since '97 I agree with you that failing owning a Seagate, I would use a western digital. Both products have similar warranties as well. My very first system I used a Maxtor, which failed within two years, but every Seagate I've used is still functional, as well as the Western Digital drives I've installed. No complaints about WDs, I just have had really good luck with Seagate, so it's my personal preference.

OP
S

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Hoping this linked article furthers our discussion here.

AA

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/24/seagate_analysts_day/

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Extremely interesting article, sir! Esp regarding the hybrid drives set to come out in 2014.

I've been wondering, since flash technology has been solid-state all along why the industry hasn't gone toward Solid state for desktops way before now. It looks like a possibility that very soon, we'll see SSD for the iPad expand to rival that of laptop and desktop units in terms of storage capacity.

Personally, I don't care for cloud-storage solutions, so I will always be looking for local storage options that afford me more room at a budget price, with reliability being a major factor.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a system builder since '97 I agree with you that failing owning a Seagate, I would use a western digital. Both products have similar warranties as well. My very first system I used a Maxtor, which failed within two years, but every Seagate I've used is still functional, as well as the Western Digital drives I've installed. No complaints about WDs, I just have had really good luck with Seagate, so it's my personal preference.

I prefer Seagate to WD because Seagate have a local address to send the drives to rather then having to send them to Singapore ($10 to Sydney or $30 to Singapore).

InkyMyCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll buy one once I can afford it. It would be great if apple would have a memory slot on there Apple products but I don't see apple doing that when they can get extra money out of us. I have a Seagate 2.5 inch drive I've had for over 5 years now.

Reaction score
I would wait I have a seagate network (ex)ternernal drive my mom and my aunt has the wifi-drives they are cool you can see then from every wifi if you have a smart tv u can watch,listen,learn
Dot dot dot etc from the drive with it still being plugged up to the computer ( I only know about the LG smart 3d tvb cause that show my mom works) her wifi drive can b inher office (locked door) and my sister can watch cartoones
But the wifi and network drives are built almost alike they r built simililar to computers they have their own modem and CPU and such stuff All three of r drives stopped working around the same time if you have a lot of power outages ( which is what happens here a lot) ours went out during a storm mine u just ha e to put back one one but all three of ours was knocked offline ( we live in the same st. Different areas) my modem was fried and I had to get a replacement unless u have a backup battery it will be fine WD (Westernal Digital) is not any better the slightest knock will render the knock if death ( just b careful with these) both me and my aunt have broken one they are so delicate all u ha e to do is blow on it an it will not work
Good luck I hoped this helped

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
As I needed something for a trip coming up (both to play movies and to copy photos to from my phone) I picked up the Seagate Wireless drive. At 1 TB, I can put all my movies (at this time) on it (690GB) and have room for the photos.

Using firewire 800 on my Mini, I copied all the movies over and it took just 2 hours and change. Nice. I upgraded the firmware and then set about to checking out how it worked. I was able to play different formats (SD and HD) with no problem. Since all of my movies are in iTunes anyway, I had no issue with file format. I also tried playing movies I purchased in iTunes. As my iPad is synched to iTunes, it worked how the site said it would; it used Safari and the quality was as good as if using the native player. Next, I took some photos with my iPhone and proceded to copy them to the device with no issue. It created a folder on the drive with the iPhone's name on it and put the photos in a Photos folder under it. It was also viewable from my iPad as well and can be copied then to the Camera Roll for editing. Thinking huge sharing capability here, lots going on in my head on this one... I also decided to see how the throughput was and watched a movie on the iPad while copying more photos to the drive from the iPhone. No skipping whatsoever.

I already have a Zagg Spark3, so I have plenty of juice for the drive just in case. I like the design of this drive, and I think the capabilities will fall right in line with my expectations. It also plays nice with other wifi networks - allowing you to first connect to it, then piggyback off and connect to another wifi network for internet. works well, and I had no issues connecting to my home wifi after connecting to the drive.

Man, the ability to share photos and copy them up. I have the Camera Kit, and can see shooting the day away with my DSLR and then copying them to the iPad via kit then to the drive and clearing my iPad. Yep, lots of ideas coming. Can do the same with my GoPro!

Say what you will on Seagate, the drive comes with a 3 year warranty. I dont expect it to be a backup or only copy drive. It will be a working drive. And no, I dont sell computer equipment in any way. Just giving my day-one quick review.

Reaction score
Sry I bought another Seagate alwell ( I have a major problem with computers and I back up most things) It is just these wifi or router (ex) ternal hard drives relly get me

Most reactions

Latest posts