What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exit mode Need Help

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have iPad 1 and jailbroken on 4.2.1 and today there were two updates that I updated, and now it won't let me get out of safe mode. I uninstalled the one I updated but I don't remember the other one. What is the easiest way to restore it to ios7 without losing photos? thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have iPad 1 and jailbroken on 4.2.1 and today there were two updates that I updated, and now it won't let me get out of safe mode. I uninstalled the one I updated but I don't remember the other one. What is the easiest way to restore it to ios7 without losing photos? thanks

To start, the only iOS you can upgrade that iPad1 to is iOS 5.1.1 (the first generation iPad didn't/doesn't get iOS 6 or 7).

Safe Mode "merely" means that the mobile substrate tweaks have been inactivated; they are not running. In essence, your iPad is stock. So, try connecting it to your computer and see if you can access the DCIM folder where your pictures are). On a PC, that means using Windows Explorer and opening the iPad folder and clicking each sub-folder until you get to your pictures. If you find them, yup can copy them over to the computer for safekeeping.

Then, in Safe Mode, go back to Cydia and uninstall everything. That should guarantee you find the culprit (make a list of them, though). Then, you can re-install the tweaks one at a time, making sure each one works before going on to the next.

In all honesty, however, I suggest restoring/upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 on the iPad and starting over. That way, you can re-jailbreak and be as you were before but with the newest iOS for that iPad. YMMV.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To start, the only iOS you can upgrade that iPad1 to is iOS 5.1.1 (the first generation iPad didn't/doesn't get iOS 6 or 7).

Safe Mode "merely" means that the mobile substrate tweaks have been inactivated; they are not running. In essence, your iPad is stock. So, try connecting it to your computer and see if you can access the DCIM folder where your pictures are). On a PC, that means using Windows Explorer and opening the iPad folder and clicking each sub-folder until you get to your pictures. If you find them, yup can copy them over to the computer for safekeeping.

Then, in Safe Mode, go back to Cydia and uninstall everything. That should guarantee you find the culprit (make a list of them, though). Then, you can re-install the tweaks one at a time, making sure each one works before going on to the next.

In all honesty, however, I suggest restoring/upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 on the iPad and starting over. That way, you can re-jailbreak and be as you were before but with the newest iOS for that iPad. YMMV.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn
Ok thanks. Since I started with iPad and iPhone I always jailbreaked, but the problem I had, everytime I need to restore to current firmware, I always run with iTunes error and had to do the DFU or recovery mode. Since then I never bother restoring, even my iphone 4s is still jailbroken on 4.2.1. I just have so many personal files in them and I don't want to risk losing them. I knew this time will come and a lot of apps I can't download because my firmwares on iPad and iPhone are old. I'll try save my files in my computer, like you said, and restore both.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are mechanisms in jailbreaks that prevents regular restores (unless you install a package to mask it, then remove that package to revert it back to a stock system plist). DFU or Recovery Mode is recommended when restoring a jailbroken device. You cannot update a jailbroken device via OTA or through the iTunes "Check for Updates" option. This will break your device and force you to restore.

The best way to make sure that all or at least most of your data is backed up is to do so manually. Install afc2add from Cydia, and install iExplorer by Macroplant onto your computer. Then navigate to specific directories such as photos or music, and you can back them up as the exact file types that appear on your device, i.e. music will be MP3, photos would be .png, etc. Then if you want them back onto your device, you can simply drag-and-drop the data back, or, you can sync them using iTunes.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need to learn all that and see if I can back up all my files, then restore. Otherwise, I'll just use it as it is. I'm sure my iPhone will do the same sooner or later, then I'll be force to restore.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need to learn all that and see if I can back up all my files, then restore. Otherwise, I'll just use it as it is. I'm sure my iPhone will do the same sooner or later, then I'll be force to restore.

iExplorer is fairly easy to use and play around with. There's a free and paid version, and in both versions, once you plug your device in, you'll be brought into a page with a bunch of tabs and a bunch of icons (labelled) that brings you to specific directories. Those directories store your physical files, so if you click on the "Music" or "iPod" button, you'll be brought to your music, and they will appear as an MP3 file, which you can drag and drop onto your desktop (or just select all, and mass export them). After the restore, you can drag and drop them back using iTunes. Same goes for videos, photos, etc. For everything else such as contacts, SMS/iMessages, etc, you can backup using iTunes. All the media type files are not backed up as iTunes assumes they're already stored locally on your computer. I don't have a copy of iExplorer running on this computer at the moment so I can't provide a few screenshots of what you can access and such. If you need some visuals on how it looks if you're skeptical, I can provide a few screenshots later on in the day if you'd like.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iExplorer is fairly easy to use and play around with. There's a free and paid version, and in both versions, once you plug your device in, you'll be brought into a page with a bunch of tabs and a bunch of icons (labelled) that brings you to specific directories. Those directories store your physical files, so if you click on the "Music" or "iPod" button, you'll be brought to your music, and they will appear as an MP3 file, which you can drag and drop onto your desktop (or just select all, and mass export them). After the restore, you can drag and drop them back using iTunes. Same goes for videos, photos, etc. For everything else such as contacts, SMS/iMessages, etc, you can backup using iTunes. All the media type files are not backed up as iTunes assumes they're already stored locally on your computer. I don't have a copy of iExplorer running on this computer at the moment so I can't provide a few screenshots of what you can access and such. If you need some visuals on how it looks if you're skeptical, I can provide a few screenshots later on in the day if you'd like.
What free or paid versions, iExplorer? Yeah if you can post a screenshot so I have an idea, that'll be helpful. Both of my devices are still on 4.2.1 and pretty much identical on their jailbreak apps. It won't be long till my 4s crashes too, I'll restore then.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's a paid and free version to iExplorer. The Paid version (naturally) allows for more options, but the free version should be all that you'd need in this case. I saved some pictures on my netbook yesterday. I'll post them once I'm at work in a few hours hopefully.

EDIT: Here they are. Once you install iExplorer, click on "Demo Mode". Then it'll load up to a screen where you'll these.

tbnOew9.png

There are other tabs like Data which will display your SMS, contacts, etc as well. But if you click on (for example) Photos & Videos, you'll have your media listed out like this.

gt24cHf.png

It'll have the time stamp of the media and the format of it. Photos will be JPG, and videos taken will be MP4. On the bottom (or individually) you can export them onto your computer.

Also note that iExplorer is not a direct rip of your device. When prompted to (if prompted to), create a backup, and iExplorer will rip that backup of its data and you can back them up piece by piece. This will work for all types of media. As for putting data back INTO your device using iExplorer, I believe that feature requires that you purchase a license. When you put the data back onto your device after a restore, you can use iTunes to sync the data back over. Or, you can put it onto a cloud server like Box, DropBox, then download them back onto your device manually.

Last edited:
OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's a paid and free version to iExplorer. The Paid version (naturally) allows for more options, but the free version should be all that you'd need in this case. I saved some pictures on my netbook yesterday. I'll post them once I'm at work in a few hours hopefully.

EDIT: Here they are. Once you install iExplorer, click on "Demo Mode". Then it'll load up to a screen where you'll these.

tbnOew9.png

There are other tabs like Data which will display your SMS, contacts, etc as well. But if you click on (for example) Photos & Videos, you'll have your media listed out like this.

gt24cHf.png

It'll have the time stamp of the media and the format of it. Photos will be JPG, and videos taken will be MP4. On the bottom (or individually) you can export them onto your computer.

Also note that iExplorer is not a direct rip of your device. When prompted to (if prompted to), create a backup, and iExplorer will rip that backup of its data and you can back them up piece by piece. This will work for all types of media. As for putting data back INTO your device using iExplorer, I believe that feature requires that you purchase a license. When you put the data back onto your device after a restore, you can use iTunes to sync the data back over. Or, you can put it onto a cloud server like Box, DropBox, then download them back onto your device manually.
Thanks a lot. This will definitely help me, time to get up to speed with my devices.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're very welcome. If you have any questions or issues when using iExplorer, take a screen capture/crop of the issue and post there here. I'll try to assist if possible. Good luck.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're very welcome. If you have any questions or issues when using iExplorer, take a screen capture/crop of the issue and post there here. I'll try to assist if possible. Good luck.
Sounds good thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts