What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken ipad 2 stuck in recovery mode, help please :/

TheAmplifier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So today.. i made the stupid decision of installing a update from itunes to my jailbroken ipad 2 & ended up being left with a ipad in recovery mode.
I've tried using the program Tiny Umbrella to exit it but no luck.

I've also tried the manual restore with 6.1 update ipsw file i downloaded but i still get a error.
Been trying for the past 6 hours but i'm getting nowhere ._. I'm hoping someone could help me out, it'll be extremely appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try doing the manual restore again, but this time, use the IPSW for iOS 6.1.2. That is the most current iOS (as in - trying to install iOS 6.1 won't work being its no longer authorized by Apple).

So, put your iPad back into DFU mode and then use the shift/restore process so you can select the most current iOS. It should work with no further issue.

If you have continuing problems, holler back and we'll take another shot at it. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
T

TheAmplifier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try doing the manual restore again, but this time, use the IPSW for iOS 6.1.2. That is the most current iOS (as in - trying to install iOS 6.1 won't work being its no longer authorized by Apple).

So, put your iPad back into DFU mode and then use the shift/restore process so you can select the most current iOS. It should work with no further issue.

If you have continuing problems, holler back and we'll take another shot at it. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
T

TheAmplifier

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Thanks a lot for your help! It worked :thumbs:
This site is awesome :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

bentley311

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hoping you can help

My wife has this same issue and mistakenly an the update to 6.1.3 without having run a backup first. Can you share a bit more on how to enter back to the DFU process and the correct way to do this process? I want to be sure to not mess it up as there is a lot of application data that would be devastating to her if lost. thanks so much for your help!

Regards,
Chris

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife has this same issue and mistakenly an the update to 6.1.3 without having run a backup first. Can you share a bit more on how to enter back to the DFU process and the correct way to do this process? I want to be sure to not mess it up as there is a lot of application data that would be devastating to her if lost. thanks so much for your help!

Regards,
Chris

I guess I don't understand your issue. Do you have an iPad stuck in recovery mode or is your iPad now running iOS 6.1.3, correct? If it's on iOS 6.1.3, then that's where it has to stay. There is no other iOS you can put on it.

For "peace of mind" - check the apps that have data. They should be fine and have all the data that was there before the upgrade/update was done. Oh, and you can connect the iPad to iTunes and run a backup now (as it's always a good idea to run backups on a regular basis anyway).

Marilyn

P.S. And, just for educational reasons, here's the tutorial my fellow moderator, f4780y, made on DFU Mode: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=27489. It's good reading for the future or in case you need to re-install iOS 6.1.3 for some reason...

bentley311

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is stuck in recovery mode. I am thinking that based on what I have read, there i no way to restore it any way that will preserve the data from the apps? I knew it was a long shot, but I wanted to check into it. I know when a Windows machine OS goes belly up, you can still access files on the hard disk. Was hoping there was a similar process on this device in which data could still be retrieved before wiping it out.

Thanks,
Chris

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the update didnt go through, then you should be able to exit recovery mode by using a tool such as TinyUmbrella (download from there - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella) or redsn0w.

When you launch TU, it has a button on the top right hand panel saying "Exit Recovery". If the previous IOS is still intact, the iPad should boot as normal once you do this.

Good luck.

bentley311

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I tried using both those programs already, but the Exit Recovery does not work. It just reboots and comes back to the same "connect to Itunes" screen. I have tried doing the restore within Itunes since my last post, but it failed to update with error 3194. Any other ideas. at this point I will settle for just getting it to work again in any manner.

-Chris

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then your only option is now to restore to 6.1.3, but you will lose all the data on your iPad. If you follow all the steps in this guide you will get back to working order again (without the opportunity to jailbreak for the time being) - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

You should always run a regular backup ;) iCloud will do one for you every day when you plug the device in to charge without you even noticing, provided you set it up to do it.

bentley311

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will take a look at that guide thanks! Reason we don't back up to the cloud is that we travel fulltime and are using phones for data mostly. It would be dangerous to have it syncing up to the cloud all the time. I am going to have to get her to start doing frequent backups to Itunes at least.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will take a look at that guide thanks! Reason we don't back up to the cloud is that we travel fulltime and are using phones for data mostly. It would be dangerous to have it syncing up to the cloud all the time. I am going to have to get her to start doing frequent backups to Itunes at least.

OK, but I would suggest you look into it a little further. iCloud doesn't work like that, and nothing is syncing constantly over your data connection. Backups are never taken over the 3G / Data connection. They only happen over WiFi.

Most reactions

Latest posts