What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you find the iPad tiring to use sitting down?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I almost always use the iPad while I am laying down on the bed and resting the iPad on the upper part of the stomach. I find it gets tiring holding it in the hands for any length of time.

When I am at the desk, I almost always use the desktop and sometimes the laptop.

Don't get me wrong, I am not lazy and would like to think I am quite fit as I exercise regularly, but I suppose if people can play games with game controllers for hours on end, there should be no problems with the iPad. But for me, I just don't find it comfortable using the iPad in any position other than lying down.

Of course, what I said above will go for any tablet device and not just the iPad.

bobmcc81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny you say that I can't get comfortable laying down with it. It works great sitting in my favorite easy chair propped up on one knee then occassionally switching knees. Granted my reading time is not hours on end though.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you, even though the iPad is only like 1.5lbs after several minutes it gets tiring holding it up. I just try and move my hand position every now and than

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do you hold a book when you're reading? Many hardcover books weigh more than the iPad.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
How do you hold a book when you're reading? Many hardcover books weigh more than the iPad.

I agree. But most books a lighter than iPad 1. I don't know about iPad 2.

Reaction score
I have a big belly and bad eye sight. I lay it on the top of my belly , which puts it on an angle and is close enough to see without my readers

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
I have a big belly and bad eye sight. I lay it on the top of my belly , which puts it on an angle and is close enough to see without my readers

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

-:D

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
I guess you don't read Tom Clancy or W.E.B. Griffin hardbacks... :D

Tom Clancy isn't very appealing to a teenager. :)

Apologies in advance for the threadjack -
It's been a while since I've been a teenager, but that really surprises me. I think I would have eaten them up. Techno-thrillers, "ripped from today's headlines" to borrow a phrase.

I am certainly not criticizing your preferences, but I'm surprised at the generalization.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a big ebook reader on iBooks and I have to sit, lie down, change left and then right if I am reading for long periods of time. I developed left wrist ache holding the iPad while paging with my right. Could be my age 44, but I've had to adjust how I read now to allow for this.

By the way, Graywolf, love your avatar!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad987 said:
I almost always use the iPad while I am laying down on the bed and resting the iPad on the upper part of the stomach. I find it gets tiring holding it in the hands for any length of time.

When I am at the desk, I almost always use the desktop and sometimes the laptop.

Don't get me wrong, I am not lazy and would like to think I am quite fit as I exercise regularly, but I suppose if people can play games with game controllers for hours on end, there should be no problems with the iPad. But for me, I just don't find it comfortable using the iPad in any position other than lying down.

Of course, what I said above will go for any tablet device and not just the iPad.

I'm intrigued by this thread... I recommend those cushion trays. That way you don't have to hold it (well not if you're at home anyway, it wouldn't quite work on the bus), and you can use a stylus to turn the pages.

Just off to practise lying down with it...

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sitting down, not really, laying down definitely. I actually bought an iprop earlier this week (a floor stand for my iPad so I don't have to hold it while I sleep). Once they send ,y the replacement part I'll let you know how well it works!

Most reactions

Latest posts