What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do new iPads come installed with iOS4.2?

lancer6238

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that iOS 4.2 is out, does that mean that all newly manufactured iPads will come pre-installed with 4.2? Or do I have to do the update myself? And how will I know which version of the OS it's running before buying? The apple store doesn't seem to specify the OS version.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you buy it online, it will be shipped directly from the factory in China, and therefore have the latest goodies.

The store stock may not. But still, I don't think you'll have any problems updating a new, unjailbroken iPad.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you buy it online, it will be shipped directly from the factory in China, and therefore have the latest goodies.
Is this true for all online stores, or only the US stores?

I'm in Switzerland and I got mine from China too. As far as I can tell, every iPad ordered on store.apple.com gets drop-shipped directly from China.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered my girl one off the apple store. I will see what the version is once it gets here.

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine arrived last Saturday (ordered from store.apple.com to the US) and I don't know if it was shipped from China but it arrived with IOS 3.2.2, had to update it via iTunes.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends where you get it. If you go on amazon it is possible you will get one with 3.2 in it. I just got a Mac Mini off of Amazon and it didn't have iLife '11 in it, but in losing the $50 bundle I saved about $180....so it was worth it.

johnnypanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received my Ipad, last week, from Viking Direct. 3.2.2 on mine, considering upgrading to 4.2, but hoping an untethered jailbreak surfaces soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts