Do I need an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ivil, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ivil

ivil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have a special offer on an iPad 2, but I already have a MacBook Pro and and iPhone. What's the advantage (apart from it being fun) of having an iPad, too? I'm a musician, so, as far as I know I can use it to read music and for edidting it, but anything else?
    Covince me, people!

2. darkangelwitch

darkangelwitch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think it depends on what you want it for, I use mine everyday for reading the news, checking emails, writing my book, skyping my brother in Scotland, playing games, web surfing, photos, videos, watching tv, keeping up with the Olympics ..... Shall I go on? LOL

I use mine every single day, my phone is now just a phone as I do absolutely everything else on my iPad, I have hardly used my PC since I got my iPad which has made hubby happy coz now he can use the PC to his hearts content.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

3. ivil

ivil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Dark.
    I do most of these thinks on MacBook already (except reading magazines). You write on the pad? Did you get an extra keyboard or did you get used to the onscreen one?
    Are there specific things which can only be done, or are more comfy to do, on the iPad...?

4. darkangelwitch

darkangelwitch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I type using the iPad keyboard, I love a touch screen for typing and I am only a little slower at the moment but speeding up all the time. I sit in my armchair with the iPad resting on a cushion and type away :)

I think all comes down to personal preference, I liked touchscreen before I got the iPad, it was my main reason for getting one.

Oh I also get all my books for the iPad now, haven't bought a real one since I got this and believe me I am an avid reader, I have thousands of paperbacks littering my house which I will slowly get rid of now I can store them on the cloud.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

5. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Nobody needs an iPad (or any other tablet for that matter). The only two questions you have to ask yourself regarding buying a tablet are: which one do you want and whether you can afford it or not. Tablets are toys not tools (even if they end up being valuable as tools).

6. ivil

ivil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, this is what I've been thinking... Thanks for bringing us back to reality, Bocata.

7. Phil Evans

Phil Evans
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Had my iPad3 about 4 months now. I enjoy using it BUT probably won't buy another in the future. I can manage quite well with my iPhone and laptop.

8. darkangelwitch

darkangelwitch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Slightly disagree with you there, this has replaced my PC at home, iPad is far more useful to me than the PC but as I said earlier it is personal opinion and it all depends on what you want out of it. This is definitely not a toy for me.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you need to speak for yourself. If you don't need one, no one is going to try to convince you otherwise. Likewise, I see no reason to convince anyone that they need anything. If you can't figure it out for yourself....well....

10. Jrs22

Jrs22
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I bought a 16 gig iPad 2 in June 2011 and I used it and loved it so much that on the day the new iPad was released I was at home to accept delivery of a 64 gig model. I gave my computer-less son my old iPad. He lives on the other side of the planet so now we can Skype video chat instead of audio chat. Since then I've replaced my aging PC with a MacBook Pro so I'm not using the iPad as much. Still, I carry it about the house and use it to read newspapers, books and some forums. I write on it with a handwriting app, play games, and occasionally watch Netflix in bed. I'm learning to play Go, and the touchscreen is a more natural interface than a mouse for a board game. Plus there are apps for studying Go that aren't available on a laptop.

I think when you have both an iPad and a MBP you settle in to a routine of using each for what it's best suited for.