What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need an iPad?

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In general, I used to think that I could do everything on a laptop that I could do on an iPad. The advantage of the iPad lies purely in the form factor: portability, ease of use. While I can read a book with a MacBook air, I find it more convenient on an iPad. While I could read sheet music on a MacBook, I find it more convenient on an iPad. While I could use a laptop on an airplane, I found the iPad more convenient. While my MacBook air is light and portable, the iPad is even more so.

More recently, however, I continue to explore apps that allow me to do things on the iPad that I CANNOT do on the MacBook. These apps are generally related to remote control of other devices such TVs and other computer programs. While I am not yet happy with the TV remote apps to use one regurarly, I do use apps to remotely control ProPresentor, keynote, and powerpoint. These apps, in my mind, give the iPad (or, more generically, a tablet) a unique capability, I started to realize.

Of course, whether one values these features enought to spend $500 or more is a question that only can be answered by each person.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes you need it. You'll need it to cook your dinner,tuck your kids at night,taxes,and transport to the starship Enterprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 2 laptops 1 desktop and wasn't sure if I would really use n iPad as well, but hubby got me a 64gig iPad, I use it every day, great for my business, love it, best thing purchased apart from my DSLR Camera

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
clermont said:
I have 2 laptops 1 desktop and wasn't sure if I would really use n iPad as well, but hubby got me a 64gig iPad, I use it every day, great for my business, love it, best thing purchased apart from my DSLR Camera

And that is the important thing: everyone is different. Some will love it and use it everyday and others will find it a waste of money and time. People have to know themselves and make these kind if decisions on their own.

By the way, I'm just like you, I use mine everyday even though I have multiple desktops and laptops and tablets. Plus a
Phone!

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad hasn't completely replaced my laptop. But no, I didn't NEED my iPad 2. But I use mine daily as well. When I'm sick in bed my iPad becomes very useful - I can watch Netflix, read books and the news, check Facebook and Twitter, all on a bigger screen than my iPhone. But as someone on the first page said, iPads aren't necessary, but they're very nice to have.

nocircuit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow since i got my ipad 2 64 gig 3g about 4 months ago,
i barely touch my laptop other than to update all my apps onto itunes.
Or transfer databases from the ipad to my iphone...
I can not imagine a day without it. I bought the ipad 2 cuz i just could not deal with the
Power hungry processor on the new ipad3, and reports of poor battery life and long charge times.
I love my ipad 2 to date I have over $500 in apps on it, some I uninstalled and replaced with
Better options... Live and learn... Short of a drag and drop publisher like share point
Theres nothing i can not do as easily or better on my my ipad vs my laptop...
Maybe by the time they come out with ipad 4 the new generation of match stick batteries
will be on the market and we will only need to recharge like once a month...
Thats probably when I will trade the ipad 2 in...
Until then I could not see going back to my laptop for my everyday putsin around and
Ordering more toys online... Once you get one you will use it more than anything else period.

Temp62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad than a PC to me much more useful, but as I said earlier, this is a personal opinion, this all depends on what you want out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Laptops and phones aren't necessary either. I did fine without both of those for decades.

Most reactions

Latest posts