What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help i need advice plz!!!

mariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i am stuck with this dilemma. I am currently a night time university student and have a regular hp laptop that is has terrible battery life. I am looking to get something portable to read and write notes on. I have to options.

1- Sell the laptop and my iphone and by my girlfriends almost new macbook pro.

2- Keep the laptop and iphone and wait until christmas to buy the ipad.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. How good is the touch keybad ?Is this a good tool to have for note taking?

Thanks !! Mario

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Wait until Christmas, then sell the laptop and get the iPad, using the laptop money for a case, apps and other things you will find yourself getting.

For notetaking apps, the keyboard is fine but takes some getting used to. I use Notes Plus for taking notes as it will mesh freehand and type pretty seamlessly. Person preference, though.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, it really depends on what you use your laptop for. As great as the iPads are at some things, they do not have all of the functionality of an actual laptop computer. And in order to get the most from your iPad, you are still going to need a "real" computer (PC or laptop) to run iTunes to back up your data and install software updates.

OP
M

mariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I realize that . Thats why I would keep the laptop and get the ipad to compliment it

OP
M

mariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, thanks. The air is nice but at that price I mind as well by the pro

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
True - to a point. The Instant on/off of the Air is super sweet.

However, best of both worlds - laptop at home as an iTunes machine with the iPad on the go. I still have my laptop, however being a full development machine (I do high end photo and video processing) it doesn't just run iTunes.

As for iTunes, other than the initial connection, installing patches and backing up, it isn't really needed. I haven't synced mine in 2 weeks now.

larfor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

Don't see any problems - get the Macbook Pro and at christmas you get yourself a Ipad and on the 25th of december you will have two of the best machines you can get :)

Good luck and Merry X-mas!!

OP
M

mariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish but I would have to use the christmas money to put towards the macbook too. And on top of that I would lose the iphone .

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might also just check on a new battery for your existing PC. Much cheaper than a new PC and use the rest of your budget towards the iPad.

letsappleit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a regular hp laptop, its battery life is really too short. If I were you, I would wait until christmas and get the ipad.

OP
M

mariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. So in the end I am keeping my Iphone and laptop and getting myself a nice kick ass Ipad as a 30th bday gift and xmas gift for me :)

Thanks !

Most reactions

Latest posts