What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a NAS - what do I need to think about?

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!
Will hopefully get my iPad 2 within a week and I'm also planning to buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Is there anything special I need top think about when buying a NAS? Does the NAs have to support any special protocols or be certified for iTunes or iPad?

Thanks in advance.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
What are you intending to use the NAS for? If it's for storing your iTunes library on, you do realise you will need a pc/ mac running iTunes still for syncing and homesharing.

OP
Laban

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Initially it's for photos. Do I still need iTunes inbetween? What if I want to connect to my NAS when I'm out travelling, still need iTunes?

Sorry if my questions are basic, I'm new to this :)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might find my slightly later post "Copy Files from SD Card to NAS - One Solution" of interest.

I'm not sure about remote access but the MWBE (most other NAS devices) has built FTP support so something should be possible I would think.

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use FileBrowser to map my NAS, as well as network shares running on my home server. Easy to NAS to iPad, slightly more difficult to iPad to NAS. But it works.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use FileBrowser to map my NAS, as well as network shares running on my home server. Easy to NAS to iPad, slightly more difficult to iPad to NAS. But it works.

I file FileBrowser too and find it vey useful for accessing NAS. I do find Linux commands better for somevtasks though. If FileBrowser had a filter mechanism for file selection, I would not need to use Linux.

OP
Laban

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, thank you for your help!

So can I download photos and other files via FTP without the use of iTunes?
For the apps you mentioned, do I need jailbreak?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alright, thank you for your help!

So can I download photos and other files via FTP without the use of iTunes?
For the apps you mentioned, do I need jailbreak?

I am not sure which post you are replying to, but everything I am talking about works without jail breaking.

You only need to consider FTP for remote access (over the web etc). FileBrowser should handle most local file tasks. FTP is always there for local files as well.

The FTP implentation will be NAS specific but I would think fairly generic. There are no doubt some FTP clients for the iPad, in fact I know Thayer iFiles will do it.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something from my set up that may be of interest. I have a Western Digital MyBook World Edition that I leave on 24/7. Not the fastest or feature rich but has all I need, is rock solid reliable and requires no active cooling i.e. no fan so pretty much silent in operation. I store all my movies on this and use Buzz Player HD app to stream movies to my iPad over Wifi when in the house. Works flawlessly. You can also use this app to pull movies down from the NAS for local playback when you are heading out of town. Great combination and saves me having to convert movies for iPad and then sync via iTunes.

OP
Laban

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You you all for your help!

Sounds like there shouldn't be a problem.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have looknas well to the Dlink DNS-323. It is a two-bay NAS

6 years ago it was an impulsive buynfrom my side. The thing is still running. Got +100k Itunes songs and 10k photo's for Aperture on it. It is also not the fastest around, but so far it is doing his job.

Soon I plan to upgrade to a 4 or 6 bay NAS and the Dlink will be used elsewhere in the house.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something from my set up that may be of interest. I have a Western Digital MyBook World Edition that I leave on 24/7. Not the fastest or feature rich but has all I need, is rock solid reliable and requires no active cooling i.e. no fan so pretty much silent in operation. I store all my movies on this and use Buzz Player HD app to stream movies to my iPad over Wifi when in the house. Works flawlessly. You can also use this app to pull movies down from the NAS for local playback when you are heading out of town. Great combination and saves me having to convert movies for iPad and then sync via iTunes.

I have MBWE too. It uses very little power (it certainly produces no heat) and is always ready for action and works well with FileBrowser, iFiles etc.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have MBWE too. It uses very little power (it certainly produces no heat) and is always ready for action and works well with FileBrowser, iFiles etc.

Yip, great NAS provided you don't have top end power user requirements. Streams 1080p content perfectly to my WD TV Live. I even customised the downloader applet to allow batch downloading overnight while my laptop is off. I would quite happily buy another of these.

OP
Laban

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Qnap TS-412. It's a bit expensive but having 4 disks is tempting when it comes to RAID.

A less expensive model would be D-Link DNS-320.

Anyone using the Qnap or Dlink (or maybe a similar Synology)?

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This question may not be connected to this thread but while reading it, something crossed my mind: Is it possible to have itunes in a cloud?

Most reactions

Latest posts