What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cracked ipad mini screen. Was told this model can't be fixed

carolina padgett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I bought my teen son a brand new ipad mini for christmas this past year. He accidentally threw out the box :( so I don't know the model number offhand. He cracked the screen quite badly and now won't turn on. I took it to a local repair company since apple care won't cover it, and they told me that this particular models screens can't be repaired due to possibly damaging the motherboard. Does anyone have any experience with this? I haven't been able to find any information online about this issue.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Carolina - welcome to the forum! :)

Apple is currently selling the iPad Mini models shown below, so if you know the capacity and whether cellular capable, and recall your purchase price, then the proper model can be picked. Also, look on the back at the bottom, the model & serial numbers are printed there in VERY small type (may need a magnifying device and proper lighting).

If you can identify the serial number, then go to Check Apple Coverage, enter the number and review your warranty options - see the second image attached were I checked the warranty on my iPad Air 2 (blocked out my serial number).

Finally, look at this Apple Support Article - if an Apple store is near you, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar for an assessment - diagnostics will not cost and a least expensive repair may be an option since you are still under the 1-year warranty (and you may have bought AppleCare?). Good luck and let us know you results. Dave
Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.50.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.48.13 PM.png

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can find the iPad model on the back in the small print , should look like A1432 or similar. If you have Apple Care, then yes, Apple will replace it for a fee even if it was hit by a steam roller. Depending on the amount of damage , a third party shop may say it's beyond economical repair, but the excuse that shop gave you is lame.

If it is a 4th Gen mini, then is pricy to replace the screen as the LCD and glass are one piece and the part itself will run $200-$250 without labour costs.

Most reactions

Latest posts