Consider the new MBP with Retina ! Need expert advice.

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by mydave, Jun 15, 2014.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mydave - glad that we could help, but if you buy the MBPro and are having some issues, then I would still suggest that you join the MacForums - ‚Äča great bunch of guys (maybe a few girls) there that are fabulous - good luck! Dave :)

2. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok have decided to stick this thread as the information provided is valuable. We must accept that the iPad is just a part of the world and much that this thread does not mention it connecting and sharing is the same.

3. mydave

mydave
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    In the recognition of all the helps that were given from this forum and its staffs & members, I'd like to offer a small update.

There is an Apple store in downtown, which has a bit of traffic hassle to visit. So, I spent times at Best Buy, checking out all Mac's that they have.

In order to get to the Apple section, customers would need to pass thru a large section of Windows gadgets. There are always many people, and sales staffs, around all of those shiny new laptops and PC's. The Apple section only has one table with the a few machines. Most of the times, there is not a soul around. So, I have the area all for myself during the visits.

Firstly, I checked out the OS, trying to navigate around. The consideration is how difficult it is to learn a new OS, how much more investment is needed on new apps, and whether it would fit within my Windows environment at home. The latter one cannot be verified until I actually have one.

Then comes the hardware.

The MBP has some advantage with respect to upgrading storage and memory. The MBP retina has gorgeous screen and speed, but hardware upgrade is either not possible or is costly. The 21.5" iMac looks good, but is pale sitting next to the great 27" iMac. This was almost my choice until my eyes caught the Mac Mini. The instance I checked out the specs, and examined the box, I knew this would be it.

Do I need a new computer. NOPE.
    Do I need a new Mac. NOPE.
    Do I want a new Mac. YES, but it would have to: <a> fit into my existing Windows environment, <b> be upgradable, <c> be affordable on initial purchase and additional software cost. Hence, the Mac Mini, especially the server edition, appears to be the best candidate.

I'll update again . . . . perhaps soon.:)

P.S. Overall, I really enjoy and appreciate Apple products. The OS is smooth and the hardware is beautiful.

4. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Some things to consider.

The 21.5" iMac looks small compared to the 27", but when you get it home, you won't be making that comparison. Also, all screens look small in a store, including those that take up so much desk real estate that you wonder how to accommodate it without performing major building work.

Incidentally, you may be able to find a refurbished Mac at a decent price here.

The Mac Mini doesn't come with a screen or keyboard/mouse, so you will need to add the cost of those to the ~$1000 that the unit costs. The Apple (27") Thunderbolt display is purpose built for the Mac Mini, but costs ~$1000. No modern Macs come with a disk drive, btw, so you will need the SuperDrive at ~$79 if you intend using CDs/DVDs.

As far as software goes, the iWork and iLife suites are both free with a new Mac (of any description), and there is no shortage of free third party offerings.

To me, the bigger consideration is not so much how the Mac operates within a Windows environment, but how quickly it replaces it. I keep my PC basically because it hasn't died yet, but also because there are a couple of programs I can't run on the Mac.

Hope this info is useful.

5. mydave

mydave
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Great points, Kevin. Thanks.

The screen on the 21.5" is really gorgeous, and it would be a great one for any home. The 27", at a higher price and specs, actually has much much higher resolution. Hence, nothing can look good sitting next to it. The store probably should not have them on display side by side.;)

The lack of display, keyboard and mouse does not concern my case much as I have spares. It would be a considerable expense for others. It is good that you pointed it out. The lack of optical drive, to me, is a good design consideration. An optical drive, if used often, could be the weak link of a reliable computer. Often, usb drive, flash card, cloud, or networked server would do for the lack of an optical drive. That is solely my point of view.

The Mini Server appeals on some other aspects that I have not mentioned in previous post. Depending on the need, it may be configured with stripped or mirrored raid (with some limitation) and dual boot with windows 8.1. I'm pretty sure one of the configuration would work, but together ? ? ? Nevertheless, there is Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac.

Your statement "To me, the bigger consideration is not so much how the Mac operates within a Windows environment, but how quickly it replaces it" is outstanding. Any casual reader of this thread should take that seriously. In my case alone, I can't envision it yet with all the works and investment in Windows.

This is a fun topic. A Windows hard-core is flirting with Apple realm ? ? ? There are much to dig into. So, any and all comments would be much appreciated.:)

6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, I could never see myself switching from Windows to Apple. The transformation is not actually complete, since I still use my Vista beast, and have things going on that OS X simply cannot do.

For example, I run Serviio on both the PC and the Mac. On the PC it is easy to map the server to external drives. On the Mac it doesn't appear to be possible.

Windows 8 changed everything for me, though. I hate that OS with a passion, and have no intention of going anywhere near a PC with it installed. I'd still happily use a PC with 7 or XP.

7. mydave

mydave
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I thought that Mac OS 10 would allow mapping, as per these two papers:

. Map a Network Drive on a Mac http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/20/map-a-network-drive-on-a-mac/
    . Connect to shared computers and file servers on a network http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10644

Did you try them ? I am not familiar with Serviio, but I have a large Windows 8 Server, plus some NAS drives. The mapping ability is important and is one of the reasons that I wanted to clear up prior to make the jump.

Windows 8 is a failure and it hurts Microsoft badly, although some ideas for its design were good. The current version 8.1 is much better, but it cannot erase the horror from customers. I found that Windows 8.1 is pleasant to use. Its blazing speed, wide coverage of drivers and less demanding hardware are the keys. I don't use Metro apps and SkyDrive, so no comment on those. I converted three laptops, two with dual cores and one with quad cores. Windows 8.1 works great on all three with almost similar performance. They all outrun our primary Win 7 computer.

I appreciate the discussion, and love to hear all comments.

8. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I'll check that out, and see if it helps. The reason external drives are so easy when using Windows is the assignment of drive letters. Serviio simply picks up the drive regardless of how it is connected (USB 2.0), whereas Serviio on the Mac appears to be oblivious to external drives.

9. mydave

mydave
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi All,
    Just a quick update ;)
    Got a Mini i7 from this link http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/18...an-for-free-now-with-imacs-mac-pros-mac-minis. $50 discount plus free 3-years Apple Protection Plan.
    After a couple of hours of setting up and playing around, I found:

The good:
    . Price & Free Protection Plan, of course.:)
    . Windows Server and NAS storage are detected and accessed without any issue.:)

The bad:
    . Dual Monitors are possible, but only in duplicate mode. The HDMI connection to a Samsung 32" LCD is fine, but the connection to Samsung SyncMaster 192MP thru Thunderbold/MiniDisplay port is lousy. So more reseach :(
    . The Mini was shipped with Mac OS 10.9.2. After updating to 10.9.4, the latter display won't . . . display anymore.

A surprise:
    Started Safari, and as a magic, all bookmarks from Windows are shown. How in the world could this happens? Apple has a spy at my house ?:rolleyes:

More later . . .

10. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have HDMI out on that Mini? I have no trouble running a second display from my MBP.

Congrats on the purchase, btw. You will LOVE it.

I suspect your Windows bookmarks are shown in Safari as you are running the server version of Windows. Could be an iCloud phenomenon, though. Who knows, these days? Computers seem able to grab info from wherever they see fit.