What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consider the new MBP with Retina ! Need expert advice.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this is the iPad forum, but I am certain that there are many MBP experts around. Beside, I'm much reluctant to register in another Apple forum, new guy in town, etc . . . So, here is goes:

I use windows for PC, Laptop and Server. At the moment, I'm seriously considering the new MBP with Retina. The hesitation ? Whether or not, and how well it would connect & browse the window server. I googled and found bit and piece, not enough to give me a comprehensive understanding. (i.e if it connects, all files and folders must not have space in names ?) . If anyone has experience, please share.

For clarification:
. The MBP with Retina would have OS X Mavericks (ME864LL/A)
. My server runs 2008 WHS
. My other PC's & Laptops use Win XP, Win7, Win 8.1

Thanks

P.S. I found a link to some outfit that would provide SSD upgrade for MBP lines, if anybody is interested.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mydave - I have a MBP w/ retina display (bought March 2013); however, I cannot really answer your specific questions (just on a home network w/ an iMac and a bunch of other Wi-Fi devices). BUT, if you do not obtain the information here desired, I would suggest that you join the Mac Forums - been a member over a year (RadDave there) - many of the members and certainly the moderators are professionals, who are very experienced in these computer issues and also 'mixing' Apple & PC products - join up and post your same questions there. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
I'd hope to have some advise here rather than joining another forum. But will browse the Mac Forum as suggested.
Been enjoying your traveling threads :). Great write-up :thumbs:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, and I'm not sure I'm answering the question you are asking, but here goes.

If you want to browse files on Windows computers on the same network as your Mac, you can do it very easily. Windows computers show up in Finder, and you can log on to their shared folders from there, and copy them to your Mac. You can also use them in place, so if you have VLC on your MAC (example) you can play mp3s that are resident on another computer without copying them over.

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, KevinJS.

Next questions:

. Important consideration:
. . . Do I have to rename files in windows PCs (perhaps server as well) ? I've seen posts elsewhere that said Mac won't work with long file names (?) and file names that have spaces in between (?) example: 'The Sound of Music.m4v' won't work, but 'TheSoundofMusic.m4v' does.
. . . Can a rMBP display on dual screens thru HDMI port to a large screen TV ?

. Not important:
. Can I map the networked folders in the same way as Windows OS does ?

I know that I am asking way beyond the initial original post, sorry. But hope that you have the answers as well.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Next questions:

. . . Do I have to rename files in windows PCs (perhaps server as well) ? I've seen posts elsewhere that said Mac won't work with long file names (?) and file names that have spaces in between (?) example: 'The Sound of Music.m4v' won't work, but 'TheSoundofMusic.m4v' does.
. . . Can a rMBP display on dual screens thru HDMI port to a large screen TV ?..................

Hi again - keep in mind that the modern Apple OS X is built on the robust UNIX OS and filenames of all types can be handled - check HERE for a few exceptions; but, your example above should not be an issue.

NOW, there are limitations and adjustments that need to be understood and made when combining NTFS & HFS+ (Mac OS X Extended Journaled) - see the quote below from HERE; e.g. native Mac OS X can read NTFS but not write w/o specific software - thus, you'll need to understand these issues (the post from MacRumors is 3 years old but likely still applicable).

Finally, multiple 'desktops' can be added on a MBPro - a 3-finger swipe on the trackpad will switch between the desktops (or Mission Control can be used); also, I plugged an HDMI cable into my laptop which projected to my HDTV - see attached pic - there are many other multiple monitor options, but not my area of expertise (again, these issues have been discussed in depth in the forum linked in my previously post). Dave :)

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
  • Some have had good results with Paragon (approx $20)
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
MBP_HDMI.JPG

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, KevinJS.

Next questions:

. . . Can a rMBP display on dual screens thru HDMI port to a large screen TV ?

. Not important:
. Can I map the networked folders in the same way as Windows OS does ?

I know that I am asking way beyond the initial original post, sorry. But hope that you have the answers as well.

Looks like @giradman answered the additional points pretty thoroughly, so I'll just add that I run the HDMI output to my Yamaha AV receiver and from there to TV. It works, and feeds my 7.1 speaker system too.

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Giradman & KevinJS, Thank You !

I know that you both have done extensive researches and that took times. I could not have expected such kindness elsewhere.
It appears that I'm all set. Thanks again.

P.S. Also thanks to Leelal and Mickey330 for allowing me to initiate the thread.
P.S.1. Hope that this thread won't get deleted. Many useful info and links.

Best to all of you,

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have no issues at all with your thread as the information posted will be of assistance to other users world wide. I supply and support many cross platform sites and to be honest we have no issues in fact using Macs reduces the support needed for companies as they just work. Glad we could assist.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Giradman & KevinJS, Thank You ! I know that you both have done extensive researches and that took times. I could not have expected such kindness elsewhere. It appears that I'm all set. Thanks again. P.S. Also thanks to Leelal and Mickey330 for allowing me to initiate the thread. P.S.1. Hope that this thread won't get deleted. Many useful info and links. Best to all of you,

I'm glad you were able to get the information you needed from these 2 fine gentlemen here! Thank you Kevin and Dave!

And yes, it is very good info for others to find......we don't delete our threads, especially when they hold such useful information.

I myself like picking up info on other Apple products here also! I find it all very interesting. Above my head, but interesting all the same! ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman & KevinJS, Thank You !

I know that you both have done extensive researches and that took times. I could not have expected such kindness elsewhere.
It appears that I'm all set. Thanks again.

P.S. Also thanks to Leelal and Mickey330 for allowing me to initiate the thread.
P.S.1. Hope that this thread won't get deleted. Many useful info and links.

Best to all of you,

Hi Mydave - glad that we could help, but if you buy the MBPro and are having some issues, then I would still suggest that you join the MacForums - ​a great bunch of guys (maybe a few girls) there that are fabulous - good luck! Dave :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok have decided to stick this thread as the information provided is valuable. We must accept that the iPad is just a part of the world and much that this thread does not mention it connecting and sharing is the same.

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the recognition of all the helps that were given from this forum and its staffs & members, I'd like to offer a small update.

There is an Apple store in downtown, which has a bit of traffic hassle to visit. So, I spent times at Best Buy, checking out all Mac's that they have.

In order to get to the Apple section, customers would need to pass thru a large section of Windows gadgets. There are always many people, and sales staffs, around all of those shiny new laptops and PC's. The Apple section only has one table with the a few machines. Most of the times, there is not a soul around. So, I have the area all for myself during the visits.

Firstly, I checked out the OS, trying to navigate around. The consideration is how difficult it is to learn a new OS, how much more investment is needed on new apps, and whether it would fit within my Windows environment at home. The latter one cannot be verified until I actually have one.

Then comes the hardware.

The MBP has some advantage with respect to upgrading storage and memory. The MBP retina has gorgeous screen and speed, but hardware upgrade is either not possible or is costly. The 21.5" iMac looks good, but is pale sitting next to the great 27" iMac. This was almost my choice until my eyes caught the Mac Mini. The instance I checked out the specs, and examined the box, I knew this would be it.

Do I need a new computer. NOPE.
Do I need a new Mac. NOPE.
Do I want a new Mac. YES, but it would have to: <a> fit into my existing Windows environment, <b> be upgradable, <c> be affordable on initial purchase and additional software cost. Hence, the Mac Mini, especially the server edition, appears to be the best candidate.

I'll update again . . . . perhaps soon.:)

P.S. Overall, I really enjoy and appreciate Apple products. The OS is smooth and the hardware is beautiful.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some things to consider.

The 21.5" iMac looks small compared to the 27", but when you get it home, you won't be making that comparison. Also, all screens look small in a store, including those that take up so much desk real estate that you wonder how to accommodate it without performing major building work.

Incidentally, you may be able to find a refurbished Mac at a decent price here.

The Mac Mini doesn't come with a screen or keyboard/mouse, so you will need to add the cost of those to the ~$1000 that the unit costs. The Apple (27") Thunderbolt display is purpose built for the Mac Mini, but costs ~$1000. No modern Macs come with a disk drive, btw, so you will need the SuperDrive at ~$79 if you intend using CDs/DVDs.

As far as software goes, the iWork and iLife suites are both free with a new Mac (of any description), and there is no shortage of free third party offerings.

To me, the bigger consideration is not so much how the Mac operates within a Windows environment, but how quickly it replaces it. I keep my PC basically because it hasn't died yet, but also because there are a couple of programs I can't run on the Mac.

Hope this info is useful.

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great points, Kevin. Thanks.

The screen on the 21.5" is really gorgeous, and it would be a great one for any home. The 27", at a higher price and specs, actually has much much higher resolution. Hence, nothing can look good sitting next to it. The store probably should not have them on display side by side.;)

The lack of display, keyboard and mouse does not concern my case much as I have spares. It would be a considerable expense for others. It is good that you pointed it out. The lack of optical drive, to me, is a good design consideration. An optical drive, if used often, could be the weak link of a reliable computer. Often, usb drive, flash card, cloud, or networked server would do for the lack of an optical drive. That is solely my point of view.

The Mini Server appeals on some other aspects that I have not mentioned in previous post. Depending on the need, it may be configured with stripped or mirrored raid (with some limitation) and dual boot with windows 8.1. I'm pretty sure one of the configuration would work, but together ? ? ? Nevertheless, there is Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac.

Your statement "To me, the bigger consideration is not so much how the Mac operates within a Windows environment, but how quickly it replaces it" is outstanding. Any casual reader of this thread should take that seriously. In my case alone, I can't envision it yet with all the works and investment in Windows.

This is a fun topic. A Windows hard-core is flirting with Apple realm ? ? ? There are much to dig into. So, any and all comments would be much appreciated.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts