What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cloud problem with contacts....

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of my contacts I have on my iPad and iPhone do not show up when I log onto the me.com web-site and go to Contacts. I was wanting to finally put my contacts into groups, whole reason I go onto the Cloud. Any ideas why only 93 out of hundreds are showing?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, no, not really. I double checked mine and all 159 contacts are synced.

Here are a few things I'd try.

Double check the MobileMe account on both the iPad and iPhone to make sure contacts are turned on. Be sure to open contacts on both devices, maybe even add a bogus contact to see if it gets added to me.com. Make sure you've got a good internet connection when doing this, and hold in mind that it may take a bit for everything to get synced.

See if you can figure out exactly which contacts are not being synced. That may offer a clue.

OP
M

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've made sure that push is turned on on both iPad and iPhone, then I created a Test contact on ME, it synced with both, but when I created a Test on IPhone it did not sync to cloud. I'm just wondering why it selected the 92 contacts out of the 893 I've got.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm at a bit of a loss. It should work.

Here is an Apple support page that might help. When you are doing the various steps, be sure to read any options you are given carefully, so that you don't accidentally overwrite your iPad or iPhone's info with the less complete MobileMe account. Merge is always a save bet. At worst you'll have duplicate addresses to delete.

MobileMe: Troubleshooting iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch sync issues

If all else fails, you can try this next, but I don't guarantee results. It's just what I would try. But as a precaution I'd only work with one of the two devices until I had it working right. I'd even turn off the MobileMe contact syncing on that device until done. Be sure to Keep the contacts when you do. That way you've got a backup of your contacts if things go wrong.

Do you have a PC or a Mac? An alternative on the is to sync your Outlook on a PC, or Address Book on the Mac directly with your computer via iTunes. Then you can sync the computer with MobileMe. Unlike the iPad and iPhone you can choose to reset MobileMe's contracts when pairing it with a computer.

I'll go over the Mac stuff if you want, but I suspect you have Windows something, since MobileMe setup on the Mac is almost automatic.

To sync your iPad to the computer using iTunes, you use the Info syncing tab in iTunes when the iPad is connected. Be sure to turn it back off when done, or it can cause problems with the MobileMe sync when you start using it again. Do not use the Advanced stuff at the bottom, or you'll end up overwriting the iPad or iPhone withe the computer's data.

Here is how to set up MobileMe with Outlook after you have the contacts in Outlook.

MobileMe: Syncing your MobileMe contacts with your Outlook contact folder

OP
M

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right, I'm running Windows, I've gone through all the steps and have even deleted the Me account and reinstalled on my device, still no luck on the Cloud. I'm going to give it overnight and see what happens, maybe I'm just being impatient.

DirtyCharmed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue and I believe I've figured out why this is happening. To initially get my contacts onto my phone I synced with contacts in Outlook. Outlook isn't currently on my computer, since I just purchased a new one, but I upgraded to iOS 5 and iCloud recently. It seems that only contacts I input into my actual iPhone and not ones that were initially pulled over from Outlook are being sent to iCloud. Since you said you have a Windows system, I am wondering if this might be the case for you as well. No idea how to fix this as of yet, other than to actually re-input all of the contacts into my phone or iCloud by hand, but if I come up with any solutions, I will let you know.

dealster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my contacts and just used Scrubly.com to help me with them

frederick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Frederick here,

I too have had all sorts of issues with trying to back up my contacts from my iPhone to my lap top using iTunes.
I even have some contacts on my iPad which are different to the ones on my iPhone? Are my iPad and iPhone supposed to sync to each other over iCloud with regards to Contacts, or not? I,be just checked and apart from one contact that was created via " Evernote" the rest are the same.
Maybe I will have to VCard them all and send them to my laptop, as I do from time to time between my lap top and PC.
Can any enlighten me further??
Thanks in advance

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, go to icloud.com on a computer and make sure your contacts are correct there.

Try turning you Contact syncing off, then on again for each device or computer that is not syncing properly. When it prompts you if you want to delete them on that device, say yes (or you may get duplicates when it syncs again.

frederick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I followed your advice and all the contacts are in the cloud from both my iPhone and iPad. But still no joy syncing with iTunes. I even went on the apple site and followed their instructions to the tee, but again no luck. It must surely be as simple as an incorrect setting or two??
When I open my contacts on my iPhone and open Groups I have the following:
- All Contacts; On My IPhone , ( All on My iPhone); iCloud,( All iCloud).
When I open my contacts on my iPad and open groups I have the following:
-All Contacts; From my PC, ( All from my PC); iCloud , All iCloud.

Is this correct?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why are you using iTunes to sync? Not a good idea if you can avoid it. Turn it off and use the iCloud control panel to sync the PC to iCloud.

The iTunes settings is found in the Info tab when your device is connected and selected in iTunes.

Last edited:

frederick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done as you have said. The contacts on both the iPad and iPhone are identical, but the laptop is still different as it is not syncing with iCloud.

Where is the iCloud control angel so I can adjust as you say?

frederick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this, but alas I'm only running Windows XP with MS Office 2007, so I guess I'll just have to do without in the meantime.
I will just have to remember every time that I attach a new contact, I will have to send it by email using vCard as my emails go to all my devices. This I find very handy.

Well thank you for your time on this matter and I'll bid you farewell until another issue crops up.

Most reactions