Closing applications actually drains battery (Still under testing)

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ser Aphim, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about that... process list is a pretty straightforward thing -- a process either runs or not. iOS is after all a *NIX (BSD) derivative, and even issuing "ps" command in a terminal on a jailbroken iDevice displays those apps running. Now, unless the system reduces their CPU and memory usage to bare minimum and keeps the processes running; maybe that's the case.

2. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, the apps are already frozen, and it is already removed from the RAM except the cache. Its just there in the multitasking thingy. Its not like a PC where it slows down because you run too many programs. iOS is mobile not PC.

3. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    so far from my experience leaving the apps open and not forcing them close uses more battery.

4. willerz2

willerz2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    It highly depends on how the app is coded and which app it is. For apps that constantly fetch data to refresh something, leaving it open will drain your battery, etc. It also depends on instances of the iOS that are being called on (something along the lines of processes in Task Manager) that are kept running in the background even if the app isn't fetching data around the clock, which again, revolves on how the app is coded. It's very hard to gauge whether to leave the app open or closed unless you repetitively test it, and with every update, there is the off-chance that they've redone the code, which will throw off the previous gauging.

5. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    A very interesting thread with some excellent input. It has certainly caused me to rethink my policy of forcing apps to close on a daily basis.
    Thanks guys.

6. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That figures. I have been leaving apps open over the last couple days but don't really notice much a difference. I've always been pleased with my iPad battery life so maybe that's why?

7. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    i used to have fetch mode on in my emails, so used to get emails as soon as they were sent,now i switched that off, so get the emails when i start the mail app, do it 3-4 times a day, so reasonable. Another thing did was switch all the unnecessary notifications i used to get, only left essential stuff on notifications and these procedures definitely helped with the extra better life. now i don't bother to force close the apps

8. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Just to put in my two pennies worth, I have not been forcing my apps to close and since I left home earlier today at 1030 hrs (GMT) I have been using my ipad via mobile hotspot. When I left I had 30% power left. I still have 30%power! I do stress that I have not been using the iPad 100% of the time but a good proportion of it and I have only been using it to surf the web and sort my emails. I am still testing and will update accordingly but 3.5 hrs on and still at 30%, amazing!

9. LaLaChaCha

LaLaChaCha
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think the most battery comsuming services are gps, 3g and wifi.lol

10. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    which is why i switch off wifi when i am away from home or where i don't need it