What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't recieve FaceTimes but can send OK -Router suggestions?

Kentski45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an IPAD 3 for Christmas. As of late I can no longer receive FaceTime call but have no problem with out going calls. I took the IPAD into the Apple store an it worked there fine. The suggested it might be my router (d-link 615). Not sure why it worked initially but not now. No changes made to it.

Any suggestions for a good, easy set up router for around $100 or less. Is dual band the way to go?

Thanks

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got an IPAD 3 for Christmas. As of late I can no longer receive FaceTime call but have no problem with out going calls. I took the IPAD into the Apple store an it worked there fine. The suggested it might be my router (d-link 615). Not sure why it worked initially but not now. No changes made to it.

Any suggestions for a good, easy set up router for around $100 or less. Is dual band the way to go?

Thanks
Before buying a new router (and that could be the answer), try a couple of things first. Double click on your Home button and press down on any app in the task bar below until they all wiggle. (or was it jiggle:p) and then delete them all by pressing the minus signs. Then reset your iPad (recommended by Apple to do periodically) Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Wait until the white Apple logo appears then let both go and keep waiting and then restart you iPad. This does no harm to any app or settings. Regards, Andrew

OP
K

Kentski45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before buying a new router (and that could be the answer), try a couple of things first. Double click on your Home button and press down on any app in the task bar below until they all wiggle. (or was it jiggle:p) and then delete them all by pressing the minus signs. Then reset your iPad (recommended by Apple to do periodically) Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Wait until the white Apple logo appears then let both go and keep waiting and then restart you iPad. This does no harm to any app or settings. Regards, Andrew

Thanks for the suggestion. Still have the problem...so I guess a new router is the next option.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, try rebooting the router. Even if it appears to work on every other device, this can sometimes help.

I doubt the router needs replacing, since it has worked in the past. I use a dual band router, and find little difference in performance.

OP
K

Kentski45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the recommendations. I have tried them all at some point in time...with the exception of one.

Imessaging seems to work fine. Someone suggested it may to have something to do with "band width" and to try port forwarding. Since the IPAD requires certain ports be open. I have been researching how to do this, but it may be beyond my expertise! I may give it a try anyway, I can always reset the router to the factory settings if it gets screwed up.

Thanks again to all...I'll let you know how it turns out!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try rebooting the router, as Kevin above suggested? Just turn it off for a minute and reconnect it. I would be interested as that has often worked for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm....I think there are a host of other things I'd look for before blaming the router. If you can use the internet to view webpages, get emails, play youtube videos, and even do skype, I would think the router is fine. Which of those things can you do or not do? In fact, can do you skype?

OP
K

Kentski45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm....I think there are a host of other things I'd look for before blaming the router. If you can use the internet to view webpages, get emails, play youtube videos, and even do skype, I would think the router is fine. Which of those things can you do or not do? In fact, can do you skype?

I can do the things you mention...with the possible exception of Skype which I have't tried. I really didn't have a reason to install Skype since FaceTime was one of the reason I got the IPAD.

What are the other things you would look at if assuming it's not the router?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can do the things you mention...with the possible exception of Skype which I have't tried. I really didn't have a reason to install Skype since FaceTime was one of the reason I got the IPAD.

What are the other things you would look at if assuming it's not the router?

Skype is a useful app..because anyone on any platform can run Skype. Facetime only runs on Apple devices.

But beyond that, I would first check the addresses by which you can be reached by FaceTime, since you haven't mentioned them. I have about 7 plus my phone number on my iPhone. Have you rechecked them? Since you can call out, but can't receive, maybe one has gone missing. What address are the other folks using to contact you? (I don't mean for you to list them here, but to check that your facetime buddies are using the right address to reach you.)

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My son had this problem, but he was trying to call back home to family while on TDY. His was caused because they all had the same phone number and email set for FaceTime. Once he changed the iPad to a different email address and NOT the phone number, it worked. But this was inner family communication. FaceTime is based on your iTunes account. Try turning off or deselecting the phone number and use a totally different email in setting under FaceTime, especially if you have an iPhone on that, too!

OP
K

Kentski45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son had this problem, but he was trying to call back home to family while on TDY. His was caused because they all had the same phone number and email set for FaceTime. Once he changed the iPad to a different email address and NOT the phone number, it worked. But this was inner family communication. FaceTime is based on your iTunes account. Try turning off or deselecting the phone number and use a totally different email in setting under FaceTime, especially if you have an iPhone on that, too!

Well, I finally gave up trying to do port forwarding . I purchased an Apple router .. Took about 10 min to install. Everything works fine now.

Thanks to all for your support and suggestions...don't suppose I'll ever know what the problem was.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it worked after you changed routers, it was something about your old router that was responsible for the problem. The exact cause may never be known, but it works now and that's The important thing.

Most reactions

Latest posts