Checklist for troubleshooting Wi-Fi connection problems.

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by JJK, May 19, 2011.

1. JJK

JJK
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ever since I connected to my TC instead of my Linksys WAG-320 (or before my Netgear DGN834) I did not have a connection problem. So, in my case it seems to be related.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

2. Ronchicago

Ronchicago
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My problem seems to be a little different. I have had my wifi iPad for about a month and it has worked immaculately. Then about a week ago, in the mornings after I lift my magnetic screen, the Internet is gone. Safari and mail agree. I go to settings, select my router etc. and click on "Renew Lease" and the Internet immediately returns. The problem seems to be reoccurring a little more frequently but the solution is always the same, and works, but is a serious pain. I have a Cisco 3000 (no changes) running mixed mode and WPA2/WPA mixed mode security.

3. HedgeHogLuvva

HedgeHogLuvva
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Check the router settings, it may be disconnecting the ipad due to inactivity

4. Ronchicago

Ronchicago
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. But why is it getting worse? I am keying this message in for the second time since I lost connection a few minutes ago, in the middle of the day. My iPad is set to DHCP and the router has "Client Lease Time" at 0 which means 24 hours. So the iPAd, like the other computers on my home LAN (Windows XP and MAC Snow Leopard) should reconnect as usual. I rebooted the IPad yesterday - no help. I did visit my local Apple store recently and used their WiFi while waiting. Connect automatically there and back home. Could a parameter have got changed? Which?

5. HedgeHogLuvva

HedgeHogLuvva
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/W...3000-Connectivity-Problems/td-p/328752/page/2

Have a look half way down, some settings to try out

But looking at that forum, seem to be a few people having issues with it

6. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Putting a static ip address on my Ipad cured about 99% of my problem by eliminating the whole lease renewal and since changing the router to wpa2 only I have had 0 drops in over a week vs many, many per day before those 2 changes

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

7. JJK

JJK
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    And still connected. With me it really was a com. problem between the router and Ipad2.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. PatriciaF

PatriciaF
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I tried everything to get my home wifi to work and nothing. I am calling in the Geek Squad to help me. At least my husband got the laptop to work but not the iPhone or iPad2.

9. txteevee

txteevee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i noticed that my laptops connect fine and ipad2 does not. after many attempts, i changed the router security to WPA/PSK from WEP. for some reason ipad2 does NOT like WEP. i only HAD this problem when i am at my parents house. and this change fixed it! :ipad-peacock:

10. PatriciaF

PatriciaF
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I finally gave up trying to get the iPhone and iPad2 to connect to my home wifi. It worked outside the house with no problems. $327 dollars later, it's now working. I needed a new router, needed to connect a laptop and a wireless printer. I forgot that those two items needed to be setup with or without a new router. Oh well, now my bill won't be so high when I surf the web. Glad you got yours to work.:)